What's new
What's new

1994 Nakamura-Tome TW-20 Power requirements.

Mark Davis

Plastic
Hay Guys I am trying to get power to a 1994 Nakamura Tome TW-20 and I am going to have to get a phase converter to run it. However I have ran into great trouble trying to get information on this machines Power requirements. I know it is a 240v 3 phase but I do not know how to tell how many amps this will pull any advice is appreciated thank you. Sincerly, Mark Davis.

Last edited:
Hay Guys I am trying to get power to a 1994 Nakamura Tome TW-20 and I am going to have to get a phase converter to run it. However I have ran into great trouble trying to get information on this machines Power requirements. I know it is a 240v 3 phase but I do not know how to tell how many amps this will pull any advice is appreciated thank you. Sincerly, Mark Davis.
what does the breaker in the machine say.......

The Japanese are infamous for over-rating their CNC machines.

For virtually any Japanese 8-10" chuck, 15/20 horsepower, 220/240V CNC lathe of yesteryear, you should be fine on a 50-amp 3-phase breaker, downstream from your adequate phase converter.

You will want to slow your machine's spindle accel/decel rate, and maximum X&Z rapid rates, for three reasons:

1.) To allow you to run the machine on a reasonably-sized breaker, and have enough juice left for other equipment.
2.) To minimize dimming of the lights in your shop and house when the machine spindle is starting.
2.) To maximize the life of your spindle and servo drives. These are the most-likely electrical failure points of older CNC machines.

ToolCat

I have a 25HP 10" chuck Puma of the same vintage. I run it on 60 amp fuses and a 60HP converter, though I have run it by accident on just my 30HP RPC and it did fine.

Went in to where I used to work today for a repair and took this photo from the back of one of the TW-20 machines.

Attachments

• IMG_20230628_160707729.jpg
    IMG_20230628_160707729.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 14
Where they good machines?
The Nak's I have been around were built like freaking tanks. Way overbuilt for the size of the machine.

I agree with the Cat on this one. Slow down the spindle accel and axis drives and the machine will easily run off 50 amp breaker.

My 20hp Mazak CNC lathe with 8" chuck now only draws 38-40 amps when accelerating whereas before it was more like 75 amps. Full load cutting power was unaffected.

Back