What's new
What's new

220V VFD for 220/380V 3phase motor

cryptopsy1

Plastic
I have a motor that can be wired for 220 or 380V . I tried to start my lathe with start capacitors on the motor on 220V single phase but it wasn't powerful enough.

I bought a VFD that is 220V single phase input and 220V 3-phase output. Can i use it to power my motor or will I lose 1/3 of the power as before if I use it (since its 220v output) ?

As long as the VFD is sized correctly for the motor on your lathe, you should be fine. Be sure that your lathe motor is wired for 220 delta from the 380 star configuration. The wiring diagram to do so should be on the inside of the motor plate.

The power output from the motor should be the same.

I bought a VFD that is 220V single phase input and 220V 3-phase output. Can i use it to power my motor or will I lose 1/3 of the power as before if I use it (since its 220v output) ?
It appears that you can. Describe the model of VFD and your case will be reviewed in the order it was filed.

Hello, my phase convertor is a HY 3kw 220v single to 220v 3phase. Here attached are the connections. I get a humming noise as if the motor is speeding up and speeding down, but with minimal shaft rotation (just a twitch). The manual says to connect both wires from the single phase to any of RST. The output UVW is connected tot he motor UVW in delta configuration. I can spin the shaft by hand so i don't understand why this 3kw motor is able to spin. Even my 1/2 hp benchtop drillpress could probably spin the shaft, it isn't abnormally stiff. 1.png2.png

Attachments

• 3.png
    3.png
    658.9 KB · Views: 5
I found this wiring diagram online that differs from mine, would it work if i connected U->Y, V->Z, W->X like in this photo instead of the way I have it: U->Z , V->X, W->Y ?

Attachments

• wiring_star_delta_2.png
    wiring_star_delta_2.png
    13.7 KB · Views: 10
Usually when you get the polarity wrong of a delta connection, a vfd will trip on overcurrent.

Your lack of torque suggests an open circuit.

Two 120v light bulbs in series will tell you instantly if your vfd is delivering 240vac at 50 or 60hz commanded rpm.

But even if you have 1 or 2 phases of a delta connection, once you spin the motor it should pull in, get up to speed and deliver 1 or 2 thirds rated torque without overheating.

If your motor connections are bad and you have 2 windings in series fighting one winding in parallel, you could get what you observe.

You should measure the resistance of your 3 motor windings, (a single d cell battery in series with a 0 to 10A amp meter is great for that) and verify they are connected to the vfd.

Use the two 120v lightbulbs series to verify the vfd at 50 or 60hz they are at full brightness (or 3 if you can get 3x 240v lightbulbs, and connect them across the vfd output.

At 3 to 10hz you should be able to see the vfd produce a 3 phase waveform at a fairly dim brightness

Last edited:
I suggest you put some ring or fork terminals on those wires. Wrapping wires on a bolt and nut connection point often does not end well.

Not likely to be your issue, but it dramatically lowers the chance of phase-to-phase shorts.

Do i need those old school yellow light blulbs or will it work with led bulbs? How do i measure the resistance of the motor windings?
Usually when you get the polarity wrong of a delta connection, a vfd will trip on overcurrent.

Your lack of torque suggests an open circuit.

Two 120v light bulbs in series will tell you instantly if your vfd is delivering 240vac at 50 or 60hz commanded rpm.

But even if you have 1 or 2 phases of a delta connection, once you spin the motor it should pull in, get up to speed and deliver 1 or 2 thirds rated torque without overheating.

If your motor connections are bad and you have 2 windings in series fighting one winding in parallel, you could get what you observe.

You should measure the resistance of your 3 motor windings, (a single d cell battery in series with a 0 to 10A amp meter is great for that) and verify they are connected to the vfd.

Use the two 120v lightbulbs series to verify the vfd at 50 or 60hz they are at full brightness (or 3 if you can get 3x 240v lightbulbs, and connect them across the vfd output.

At 3 to 10hz you should be able to see the vfd produce a 3 phase waveform at a fairly dim brightness

Judging by the colours, OP is somewhere that follows Euro standards and has 220-230V single phase power - 120V bulbs won't be available.

If the 'HY' VFD is a Huanyang, discussion of those is discouraged because of terrible quality control and failure rates - the official advice is to buy something better.

Do you have a multimeter?

Hey there I got it to work by setting the maximum and normal frequency to 60hz after resetting to default settings. I'm not getting the 1600 rpm the motor is rated for though, i'll try again tomorrow.

I can't get the RPM go higher than 772 (clocked with a handheld laser tachometer). Even with setting the maximum frequency parameter or the max RPM parameter. Max amperage is 11 but i only draw between 3.8 and 4.1 even under load. My motor is configured for 4 pole though i can't read the nameplate on the motor and it is not mentioned in the lathe's manual

One of the reasons why Huanyang drives are banned from discussion here is because they are notoriously bad and offer zero support and assistance to buyers. They undercut other reputable drive manufacturers by relying on good Samaritans like the people on this site to assist their buyers, for free.

Back