What's new
What's new

3D shop organizers life?

BobH

Aluminum
I've put this here as it isn't about how to do it but rather how did it work out. I've been thinking about getting a 3D printer for making organizers and boxes for the shop. Things to keep collets with the tapping head, racks for common allen keys and wrenches with the lathes and such. The only thing holding me back is PLA is biodegradable and the manufactures say it has a life of 15 years or less. Has anyone done this and how did it work out? Any issues with the prints breaking down? Bob

This is a super fast tour of about 10% of the printed accessories we have in the shop / office. I would crash the internet if I showed you everything.

Regarding biodegradability, I'm no expert and I haven't done any research, but my gut says that if the prints aren't exposed to the elements, what is going to start the degradation process? Also, even if it was an issue, just print another bracket every 15 years.

I use PETG for nearly everything, plus we have a product that is printed in PETG. The product has been outside in our parking lot for 2+ years in the sun / rain / snow and has shown zero effects. It doesn't even get soft on 100º days sitting on asphalt.

Machine number, coolant filter pressure gauges, washdown hose hanger:
20220524_070312.jpg

Custom part storage for transport to / from plating, and delivery to customer, angled base for indicator, holster for custom gage pin:
20220524_070328.jpg

Pallet numbers, magnetic nameplate to tell operator which blank goes in that pallet:
20220524_070348.jpg

Hose routing:
20220524_070410.jpg

Did you say collet organization?:
20220524_070452.jpg

Misc brackets:
20220524_070519.jpg

Custom metrology. This one is permanent, but could be used for development as well.
20220524_070734.jpg

Nearly everything needed for setup / running of a job in one place, and a wrench station with switches in it that alarms the machine out if one of the wrenches is absent:
20220524_073632.jpg

The only thing I would say is you need a pretty large printer to do some of the drawer liners shown, or would need to make them modular.

Thanks Matt, you are using it exactly the way I was thinking. I don't know much about 3D printing and this is the first time I've heard of PETG. It looks like PETG fits the bill perfectly, more chemical resistant, stronger and petroleum based instead of corn. Off to research printers tailored to use PETG. Bob

Thanks Matt, you are using it exactly the way I was thinking. I don't know much about 3D printing and this is the first time I've heard of PETG. It looks like PETG fits the bill perfectly, more chemical resistant, stronger and petroleum based instead of corn. Off to research printers tailored to use PETG. Bob
PETG is a standard filament, any printer you buy will print it just fine. Do not buy cheap filament! I use Atomic or Prusament for all PETG, and SainSmart for TPU.

My suggestion, if you just want a tool that works, is a Prusa Mk3s. We have three of them. If you like tinkering and adjusting and upgrading, then any of the Creality printers will work and are cheaper.

There are many types of filament that can be printed on most printers. They aren't tailored to a specific filament. YOU tailor the machine settings for the filament you are printing.
Main thing to look for is nozzle temp range and heated bed max temp. Some require an enclosure but that is something you can just make if needed. I have a creality E5 and I can print PLA, ABS, PETG, NYLON, ASA, TPU, POM, and more.
Prusa's are good but overpriced, and the bedslinger design is flawed IMO.
Printers are relatively easy and cheap to modify for added capability.

Just made 15 of these BT30 tool-holders for the drawers last week. PLA+.

Clean! I think most people don't realize you can make a snap-fit like that and the plastic will hold up to it.

Here's a bracket to hold our broom to the dustpan for storage. It's used every day, and the guys break the brooms before the bracket has any issues. Of course, with every new broom I have to make a new bracket, but whatever, It's like $1.50 in plastic.

Attachments

• 20220526_103532.jpg
    20220526_103532.jpg
    686 KB · Views: 13

Back