What's new
What's new

Advice on getting into a Lodge and Shipley 14" Model X apron?

AllenHunt

Plastic
I'm attempting to take the apron off of my Lodge and Shipley Model X lathe. Taking the feed levers that resemble cow udders off of the apron exposes the shafts for the longitudinal and cross feed engagement. Around those shafts coming out of the apron are brass bushings with wider collars up against the apron and those bushings have internal keyways keying the bushings to the shafts going into the apron. Those brass bushings seem to to have a unthreaded hole on the collar which is up against the apron. The unthreaded hole doesn't seem to have a set screw at the bottom, but it is hard to see down the hole. I tried all of my imperial hex wrenches, down to the smallest wrench size, and none of the wrenches tries to engage a set screw that may be at the bottom. I was thinking that the hole might be a clearance hole to a lower larger bore that is threaded, maybe to hold a captured set screw at the bottom of the hole. After trying to engage a set screw with the hex wrenches and not feeling any engagement down there, I don't think that there is a set screw down there. Now I'm thinking that maybe the hole is there to insert the bent end of a small round bar to use when pulling the bushing off of the shaft. There is no room between the collar of the bushing and the apron to use for prying the bushing off. I'm posting to see if anyone has a thought about this before I try pulling those bushings off. I do have the parts manual, but I think the diagrams don't match these bushings exactly. I am worried that the oil pump is not working.

A little easier to work on with it OFF. Here is a older L&S

Attachments

• Dcp_1114.jpg
    Dcp_1114.jpg
    224.5 KB · Views: 19
  • Dcp_1115.jpg
    Dcp_1115.jpg
    268.9 KB · Views: 18
  • Dcp_1116.jpg
    Dcp_1116.jpg
    274.2 KB · Views: 17
  • Dcp_1117.jpg
    Dcp_1117.jpg
    281.9 KB · Views: 17
  • Dcp_1118.jpg
    Dcp_1118.jpg
    281.7 KB · Views: 17
I don't recall any brass bushings on the apron to the 20" L & S Model X lathe I had. There may have been bronze bushings things ran on, just don't remember. All I remember was all of the ball bearings used in the apron! IF there was bushings in there, I didn't mess with them because they probably were not worn too bad.
Anyways, to get the apron off the saddle, once you get most of the guts out, you have to remove the leadscrew bracket at the tail end of the bed and remove. I will look at all of the pictures I took of the apron tear down and get let you know what I find. It'll be a couple of days before I can do this.

I don't recall any brass bushings on the apron to the 20" L & S Model X lathe I had. There may have been bronze bushings things ran on, just don't remember. All I remember was all of the ball bearings used in the apron! IF there was bushings in there, I didn't mess with them because they probably were not worn too bad.
Anyways, to get the apron off the saddle, once you get most of the guts out, you have to remove the leadscrew bracket at the tail end of the bed and remove. I will look at all of the pictures I took of the apron tear down and get let you know what I find. It'll be a couple of days before I can do this.

Thank you Ken for helping me. Looking forward to the pictures.

No tapered pins I recall in the Model X apron.
Here are some pictures of the apron I rebuilt several years ago. It took me a while to find the pictures.

Attachments

• DSCN0034.JPG
    DSCN0034.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 8
  • DSCN0035.JPG
    DSCN0035.JPG
  • DSCN0036.JPG
    DSCN0036.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 6
  • DSCN0039.JPG
    DSCN0039.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 6
  • DSCN0041.JPG
    DSCN0041.JPG
Here's a couple more... Hope this helps. Let me know If I can offer anything else.

Attachments

• DSCN0044.JPG
    DSCN0044.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 4
  • DSCN0046.JPG
    DSCN0046.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 4
Correction on the taper pins. The apron reverse lever and the half nut lever has a taper pin that must be removed to get the handles off and be able to remove the front cover of the apron.

Correction on the taper pins. The apron reverse lever and the half nut lever has a taper pin that must be removed to get the handles off and be able to remove the front cover of the apron.
Ken, Thanks so much for the finding your pictures and taking the time to post them to help me. I appreciate it so much! Those are very nice pictures too!

Back