What's new
What's new

Amateur hour! Looking for some guidance

jwiltse

Plastic
I recently brought a 13" South bend lathe home and set it up in my garage. The sn is 16931t which puts its manufacturing date early 1983. I am pretty green when it comes to lashes but looking to learn.
I purchased a nice Dayton forward/reverse switch today. I need to get the threading chart for it. Any assistance as to which one I need and where to buy one would be much appreciated. I also need collet's for the trail stock but I'm not sure which taper I need for mine. I was also considering adding a quick change tool post so any suggestions on that would be great. 1000001959.jpg1000001961.jpg
1000001960.jpg1000001945.jpg1000001956.jpg

You have a great lathe with a lot of potential. 1983 makes it 17 year newer than mine (1966), but otherwise very similar. Your's has the "Flame Hardened" ways (which is a huge plus) and D1-3 (or is it 4) chuck where mine is threaded. I can tell you that the tailstock should be an MT-3 taper. Get a live center and an Albrect-style Chuck with MT-3 arbors and you'll have most bases covered for tailstock. The best and most supported, holder-wise, would be the Aloris tool post but they are expensive. I have the Shars knockoff and it is an excellent clone.

It looks like it comes with 3 and 4 jaw chucks and a steady rest. That's good.

I'd have opted for a VFD over a reversing switch; it provides reverse plus adds variable speed and instant braking.

One other option for that lathe (not sure if it was offered with the D1-3 chucks or not) is the lever-closure 5C collet bar. I can't live without that.

Lot's of good folk here that can help you out with what you need to get up and running with this fine piece of American Iron.

MT-3 live center and toolpost shown here.
AIL4fc93CaMYU6j2MALOBNAMGX1OwPezTi93iDyPAA5HT0eOH8QAd122O6NbHFyt_joPAWXeCUhmRNezcBIM1FpukCIq1Rm0yAz5KAVnHa4SqImdePdzBXzwQt19yy0NK-F21QK3GQH9WN5Ks9lamBUWBOxaIA=w1527-h1130-s-no

Good view showing the Albrect-style chuck:
AIL4fc97Ju98TtEXXBVMF0p5ekpCXjFfnW1cKZxQX0YVmu5W4GWVwuCf_sgZXULGjYGTrhpZzfykbvEVu_iRiflPxMgk_yozT4L-IZayZf57dCUFnkthpLKMARxOxWZI178PcVm2nIo9tcCsgXMHMF1a4lf4yQ=w1507-h1130-s-no

I can't find any pictures of the lever end of the collet bar, but here's a pic of the kind of super fine work you can do with a 5C collet:
AIL4fc8q4OfqyTF-1mQSQWLSW07_fzeweroCH39j6yzRAm1uTPlOf727dxN0ykwEWqtXzEVVxQ0DeaRgeLvslrC-QSCpcOAtlxeIhbZLbYGJz9ZPKK10BED3h0a4SiDldhFw2ZIGOq9tImf4Ujg9Ybew9OOexQ=w1507-h1130-s-no

I was skeptical that my post would get any responses but you guys really came through! Thanks everyone for the help.

I just bought a reproduction threading chart for my 13 from Farm Boy sales on eBay. There is a used one on E bay in fair condition for less money. Tailstock is MT3.
Are all of the 13" threading charts the same or do I need a specific one for my lathe? Thanks again for the quick response.

Get the little book by South Bend How to run a lathe, it will show the threading chart, the SBL13 is a nice lathe..

That's a great, late version of that lathe.
Really good that you got the original steady with it, too.

most of your Q's have been well answered.
Re: TP, get the B size.
Also be sure it is a wedge style, *not* (cheaper) piston style)
IOW "BXA"

As someone else mentioned, Shars is an option for sets. Sets are the cheapest way to get started.

That's a great, late version of that lathe.
Really good that you got the original steady with it, too.

most of your Q's have been well answered.
Re: TP, get the B size.
Also be sure it is a wedge style, *not* (cheaper) piston style)
IOW "BXA"

As someone else mentioned, Shars is an option for sets. Sets are the cheapest way to get started.

I purchased this exact model tool post and just brought it out to the garage and the t slot on the part does not fit. Any ideas. Can I machine it down to fit? machine it down or do I need to get a different

Attachments

• 20230928_213153.jpg
    20230928_213153.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 6
I purchased this exact model tool post and just brought it out to the garage and the t slot on the part does not fit. Any ideas. Can I machine it down to fit? machine it down or do I need to get a different
Make it fit your lathe.
A file is one option. If you have a tap for the bolt in your tool post you could turn the t-nut on your lathe. If you make the top round it works just fine. I would turn the bottom feature large and trim the round into a rectangle. Something like this video.
You can use lathe tooling in your lantern tool post.

And to clarify, your spindle nose is a 4 inch type D1, usually expressed as a D1-4". In the mid-1970's South Bend made this the standard spindle nose for the heavy 10, 13 and 16 inch lathes. The L-00 and the threaded spindle noses were options.

David

Last edited:
You have a great lathe with a lot of potential. 1983 makes it 17 year newer than mine (1966), but otherwise very similar. Your's has the "Flame Hardened" ways (which is a huge plus) and D1-3 (or is it 4) chuck where mine is threaded. I can tell you that the tailstock should be an MT-3 taper. Get a live center and an Albrect-style Chuck with MT-3 arbors and you'll have most bases covered for tailstock. The best and most supported, holder-wise, would be the Aloris tool post but they are expensive. I have the Shars knockoff and it is an excellent clone.

It looks like it comes with 3 and 4 jaw chucks and a steady rest. That's good.

I'd have opted for a VFD over a reversing switch; it provides reverse plus adds variable speed and instant braking.

One other option for that lathe (not sure if it was offered with the D1-3 chucks or not) is the lever-closure 5C collet bar. I can't live without that.

Lot's of good folk here that can help you out with what you need to get up and running with this fine piece of American Iron.

MT-3 live center and toolpost shown here.
AIL4fc93CaMYU6j2MALOBNAMGX1OwPezTi93iDyPAA5HT0eOH8QAd122O6NbHFyt_joPAWXeCUhmRNezcBIM1FpukCIq1Rm0yAz5KAVnHa4SqImdePdzBXzwQt19yy0NK-F21QK3GQH9WN5Ks9lamBUWBOxaIA=w1527-h1130-s-no

Good view showing the Albrect-style chuck:
AIL4fc97Ju98TtEXXBVMF0p5ekpCXjFfnW1cKZxQX0YVmu5W4GWVwuCf_sgZXULGjYGTrhpZzfykbvEVu_iRiflPxMgk_yozT4L-IZayZf57dCUFnkthpLKMARxOxWZI178PcVm2nIo9tcCsgXMHMF1a4lf4yQ=w1507-h1130-s-no

I can't find any pictures of the lever end of the collet bar, but here's a pic of the kind of super fine work you can do with a 5C collet:
AIL4fc8q4OfqyTF-1mQSQWLSW07_fzeweroCH39j6yzRAm1uTPlOf727dxN0ykwEWqtXzEVVxQ0DeaRgeLvslrC-QSCpcOAtlxeIhbZLbYGJz9ZPKK10BED3h0a4SiDldhFw2ZIGOq9tImf4Ujg9Ybew9OOexQ=w1507-h1130-s-no
If I go with a vfd for this lathe which one would you recommend? It is a 2hp motor

Attachments

• 16964454277014793571478374346748.jpg
    16964454277014793571478374346748.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 1
I also need collet's for the trail stock (X)
You need centers and a drill chuck for the tailstock.
Nice looking lathe.
Rocker is Ok for one-up work. and is quick/easy to swing around for angles and the like, and lining up your hand ground Threading tool bit.
A Newbie project is a T-tap wrench that goes on a post. and travel 3" on the post.
It can be used on a post out of tour tailsstock chuck, or a post held in your drill press..
A nice project because it has a lot of handy features, and is handy to use..

Last edited:

Back