What's new
What's new

Anti Chip Mat?? (For in front of the mill)

Gumbydammit

Plastic
Okay, I know this is not a glamorous cnc topic, but I am constantly bringing in chips from the machine to the carpeted area of the shop. I am currently on a cement floor. Does anyone here have a good suggestion on a mat that reduces, or possibly eliminated tracking in chips that fall in front of the machine. (It's the worst after air gun with doors open).

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Peace,
Gumby

I have a "mat" to stand on in front of one machine, is a piece of expanded metal, works good for fatigue, and won't embed with chips.
Also, the sharp edges (it's the not flattened variety of expanded metal) work good as scrapers
to remove them if you get any in your shoes.

I use those fatigue mats that have ~3/4” holes in them, most of the little sharp 6’s and 9’s fall in the holes and can be shop vac’d up later.

At one place I worked the maintenance crew that came in at night would put down a "sticky" mat and change it every evening. Definitely kept most of the chips out of the carpeted office space. You see these mats at the entrance of most "clean" rooms.

Thank you for the legitimate responses that were not just insults, or quips.

I would have tried things on my own, but was glad to hear those were working out already without the experimenting.

Those were some good suggestions.

Thanks,
Gumby

Machinist buddy of mine has a 2 inch raised platform in front of his mill where the surface you stand on is that sharp punched steel that you'd see on industrial metal stairs. chips fall right thru and due to how the metal is punched, the contact points you stand on are raised and rather small which means no chips get imbedded in your shoes

I would get a deep steel mesh, you know, the thing that is put over drains in car parks and washing stations... Comes in rectangle form, has square holes 1x1 inch and obviously is around 1 inch tall... I have it in my driveway and in my shop around each machine or bench in case of bench sized machines... Just get as many as you need and weld up an outer frame to keep the grates from running amok... When you clean up, just rip them outta the frame, vacuum it up and dump the grates back in...
Easy money and no need for a broom... Just a shop vac, a welder and as much $ as you want to spend... Heck, you can even have them chrome or gold plated... Fancy af...

Back