What's new
What's new

Anyone know why I might be having these tool probing issues?

FrodoLoggins

Plastic
Issue 1:
When touching off tools, the spindle always moves up to Z max before starting to plunge down to touch off the tool. Previously, the spindle would not move up prior to probing. This occurs both if the tool I'm touching off is already loaded into the spindle or if the machine needs to change tools prior.

IMG 4542 - YouTube

Issue 2:
Touching tools of sequentially will only do one at a time and only that one tool. If I specify to touch off tools 1 through 9 with the sequential probing cycle and hit the green go button, the below sequence will happen (assuming tool 1 is already clamped inside the spindle):
1: Spindle moves up to max Z.
2: Spindle plunges down to touch off tool 1.
3: Tool 1 is touched off.
4: Spindle moves to max Z.

The tool never gets changed. Tools 2 through 9 never get probed. Hitting the green go button again just touches the same tool off lol.

I'm assuming installing the newest version of the control's firmware will revert whatever dumb settings I might have changed lol?

EDIT:
I got all new 9xxx programs from my HFO, pasted them to the control, then locked editing them.

Last edited:
I just watched the video, that's a slightly different 'non rotating length' measurement than I have on a .19 NGC. Has it always done 3 touches?

Might want to check the routines in the 9000 folder to see if they have changed recently.

Also you don't need all new firmware, the Renishaw routines seem to be independent of the firmware version. Just for my own curiosity, what version of NGC is that?

There's at least one probing cycle where it only touches off twice but since day one probing tools in sequential would touch the tools of 3 times.

I forgot to mention, I got all new 9xxx programs from my HFO, pasted them, then locked editing them. Didn't change anything.

You have problem with 9xxx programs or with built in cycles in your software...
I got some weird stuff like that with software update from my HFO...

When I tried to touch off multiple random tools, it would allways put 12 tools in cycle, no matter how many I put (1,3,5,9), and that is a bit of a problem because if it calls for empty pocket, spindle would crush touch probe...
Other problem was that sometimes probe would not start the cycle, but it would beep like it measured the tool (probe was clean, no dirt on it)...

And I also randomly got that problem like yours, in multiple tool touch off cycle, it would measure only one tool...

After some time HFO came in, tried multiple sw versions and multiple 9xxx programs versions till they got it right... Apparently not all sw versions work well with all 9xxx versions.

After we fixed it never had that kind of issues again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

and that is a bit of a problem because if it calls for empty pocket, spindle would crush touch probe...

You can edit program 9995 to prevent that. If you open program 9995, you'll find this line:

M79 G31 Z [ - [ [ [ #6534 / #6533 - 6.0 ] * 25.4 ] * #179 ] - #31 ] F [ 2000. * #179 ] (STOPS 1 INCH FROM Z STROKE)

I edited mine to use 6" instead of the default of 0.5" it had previously. I believe this was from my VF2 which at the time had the probe on a riser behind the rotary.

To figure out how much to add to it, you can run a measure cycle with no tool and carefully stop where you feel comfortable. Look at your distance to go for reference. That'll give you a good idea how much distance to add.

Back