What's new
What's new

Being a lathe guy outside of California.

Yabut... he meant "outdoors". Not in the wardrobe or loo.

:)
Only reason I dislike the skylight in the bathroom, the toilet grows algae faster than the fish tank.

Somehow I figured a UK guy wouldn’t mind a little rain.

As for the OP, CA makes it worth my trouble to stay here, but the first question is what sort of weather and urban/rural mix is desired. Plenty of manual and CNC lathe work when I was in TX and a bald Hispanic guy wouldn’t stand out, but the pay left something to be desired.

Oddly the same in the Midwest, but the weather was cooler and housing was cheaper.

Only reason I dislike the skylight in the bathroom, the toilet grows algae faster than the fish tank.

Somehow I figured a UK guy wouldn’t mind a little rain.
Depends on "where" in Blighty.

Southern end, climate has actually been changing, last 40-year. More blue sky, more warmer spring & fall days, even hot and overly dry summers than had been the long-term expectation.

Storms are swinging more wildly and fiercer, too. One trip, long time ago NOW, we passed MILES of the "New Forest" laid-low by extreme winds.

"New" for that patch of woods meant to supply timber for Royal Navy warships of the era (1079 AD, onward..) was a long time ago. Hadn't been winds that bad since the "great storm of 1703"!

SINCE the 1990's there have been SEVERAL such windstorms.

Global warming?

Or maybe only Parliament?

:(

Last edited:
Is being a “ lathe guy “ normal usage in the US ? Sounds a bit vague to me. It could mean anything. Over here you’re a “ turner “.

On another point my step son married a lady from Ohio last August and is hoping to move to the USA to be with her in the autumn ( fall ). It’s going to have been 12 months from the date of his application for him to get permission to move to the USA.
He really doesn’t like the cold weather and I mean the sort of mild cold weather you get over here. How will he go on in Ohio ? She lives near Cincinnati at the moment I believe but she’s hoping to move to Kentucky when she retires in a few years.

Regards Tyrone.

The lower 2/3 of the state is usually about 10* warmer than up here.
IDK how warm they git in the summer, if they are warmer then too or not, but the rest of the year - I would expect 10* (and WAY more sun! DDoug can pull up the UV map again maybe?)

That can be good, or bad...
One thing about Cinci/Louisville is that when we git snow, they git ice.
I'll take the snow....

-----------

As for the OP:

Lots of Chico in Chi-town!

20+ yrs ago I made a run through Chi-Town - all surface streets (I don't recall just why?) heading to the north side somewhere I think - to pick up some (brand new) POS import knee mill, that I was trading for a center column Kingsbury base. (small) The folks at this plant had this Kingsbury that was off the books that they could trade, but they couldn't get financing for a knee mill in their MAINT dept. (gotta love Corp America?)

So, I had to fetch this mill and bring back, and swap for this Kingsbury base.
The trip took me through the S side of town that is black.
That is a scary place, but it was before noon, so no-one was up yet.

On the way back (and I still to this day find this to be amazing!) I rolled through "Little Mexico". I doubt that is what they call it, but it could be? IDK. I don't even remember exactly where it was, but _ there _ were _ people_ every_where! You'da thunk that it was Saturday afternoon and a football game just got over! Had to drive very slowly and carefully as there were so many people! Only scary thing for a white boy about this area was making sure not to run over someone! I really came away from there feeling like there was hope for the world yet!

AFAIK Chico basically runs the machining industry in Chi-Town. (well, that and the drug trafficking trade) I wouldn't doubt for a second that you could drop in there and git a job quickly, and never see a honky or speak English again if you so chose.

Detroit - yeah ... NO!
Been through there a lot over the years.
IDK of many Chico's there at all?
I'm sure there are some of course, but not many I don't think?
Nothing there but folks with their hands out....
It's a place to move FROM, not too.

--------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Last edited:
1987???
That was the bad storm which killed my mate's Dad - he was driving a fire engine on a shout at 2am and a tree crushed their cab killing him and a colleague 😭
I reckon for a good 3 or 4 years after, it always was breezy. There never seemed a still day.

That was the one, yes. C&W Head Office had booked an Executive Training Exercise at that overly-forgettable 'ersatz' castle Branson-fool had built down off the edge of it.

Wiser heads grumbled (guilty..) other grey-hairs cut a better deal with still-newish (ca 1964?) University of Warwick, so we had less waste & pretentious bullshite, going-forward.

well.. yea, that's exactly what I was sayin'!
It wasn't a joke at the time;

As with Pittsburgh, Youngstown et al in coal and coke fired steel country, America, folk in the Midlands were tougher.

Their weak of lung had already died-off.

And that was not a joke, either.

I guess you've come a long way! it used to be wet and grey, from what ive herd. :)
Yes it can be grey. I remember listening to an American musician who’d moved to Manchester for the thriving music scene. She’d come from Southern California and she described living in Manchester as being “ like living inside a Tupperware box “.

Regards Tyrone.

Joni Mitchel?

I know that she frequented Paris, IDK about the island?

--------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Last edited:
Joni Mitchel?

--------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox
No, it wasn’t anybody famous. It was just somebody trying to get a start as a musician.

I‘ve lost count of how many times I’ve landed at Manchester airport and I can’t recall one occasion were we didn’t come down through clouds !

Regards Tyrone

Joni Mitchel?

--------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox
I was thinking of "Sea Sick Steve" until I read "she"......:D
Donora, PA is what you're thinkin of. We'll see those days again soon, thanks trump.

Yeah we can't tell those zinc smelters what they can, and can't put into our air. Profits rule!
Even under Trump, the only places with smelting with smog (no controls) has been in countries with communist leaders.

Even under Trump, the only places with smelting with smog (no controls) has been in countries with communist leaders

Are you talking about the same places that Uncle Joe is emptying the S.O.R to sell to?

Back