What's new
What's new

Best option to power 3 phase 20hp 460v lathe motor from 220v single phase input?

Leowren

Aluminum
What is my best option to power a 20hp motor in a Monarch lathe? Currently wired 460v with full load amps at 32. My incoming power is 220v single phase 200 amp service. I’m thinking a rotary converter and transformer together will be my best option? I spoke with someone at phase perfect about their combo converter transformer and they said I’m just above the cut off for full load amps on the largest 20hp model.

Make SURE that motor can not be rewired for 220, most can. If not it may be best to get a 220 version. If you are any where near me I just scrapped a Mazak M4 with 20 hp motor.

Otherwise get a BIG step up 3 phase transformer. Use an RPC to make your 220 3 phase. 440*32*1.7= 25 KVA transformer

We did this on our 440 only waterjet. Works just fine.

Last edited:
Might be more cost effective to replace the motor, or at least get one with a higher efficiency at 460VAC (newer motors are 23-25A). Phase Perfect has 20Hp voltage doubler converters rated to 32A @460VAC, but quite expensive. Alternative less expensive would be a 230/460VAC motor and direct wiring to at 230VAC output using a 40Hp VFD running in derated mode for single phase input. Fuji drives are often used with single phase input and have posted derating output amps. I did a similar VFD conversion/build for a 10 Hp Monarch 61 lathe.

32 full load amps is the combination of 4 motors- main drive motor, hydraulic pump motor, rapid traverse and coolant pump.

The main motor is 20hp so I think the converter needs to be 40hp? I thought the phase perfect voltage doubling converter looked like a good option but I guess I’m just over the capacity.

Back