What's new
What's new

Best tool for achieving a deep milled finish (Such as those of a milled Putter)

Cfar

Plastic
Hello experts. Just wondering about what milling cutter would be best for achieving a deep grooved pattern of milling marks on metal at high feed low rpm. I understand that these marks are a sign of unfinished work, but golfers seem to be desperate to get their hands on putters which faces are milled. I am going to try a fly cutter, but am wondering if had any better suggestions for achieving a pattern like that in the photo attached. Any helpful feedback is appreciated.

scotty.jpg

I think a fly cutter is your best bet. Set feed to .007" or so per revolution of the spindle and cut at full depth in one pass, cause you won't be able to clock it back in.

Tilt the spindle a bit and a bad cut is what looks like this.

Slow down speed to 30 rpm and spin your table feed 1/2 turn every tie the tool turns.

Fly cutter to be used.

Or she'll mill with only one insert.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

This pattern is intentional and not as easy as it would seem and much work goes into it. Spacing verses dimples in a golf ball and more.
The tip of the insert is custom so that the groove is symmetrical. Burrs have to be removed.
I know it just looks like a bad mill finish but it is not.
To do this right you will need a nice (read expensive) profilometer or form checker and special tooling.
Bob

Hello experts. Just wondering about what milling cutter would be best for achieving a deep grooved pattern of milling marks on metal at high feed low rpm. I understand that these marks are a sign of unfinished work, but golfers seem to be desperate to get their hands on putters which faces are milled. I am going to try a fly cutter, but am wondering if had any better suggestions for achieving a pattern like that in the photo attached. Any helpful feedback is appreciated.

View attachment 347041
facemill with 1 or 2 or 3 inserts V shaped, then a G81 drill mode straight down then up and over
for next like
G81 X0. Y0. Z-.010 R0.2 F3.0
X.1
X.2
X.3 etc
G80 stop cycle
.... often done 2 ea surfaces 5" wide by 40" that later get moglice or a type of epoxy coating
like turcite, the pattern for better sticking stronger holding. I have done many parts
like that. never had a problem just change inserts as needed.

Looks like a fly cutter missing every other tooth with a higher feed rate.

I dont know why golfers would be flocking towards these because wouldn't the groves possibly change the direction of the ball?

I bet that's done with an engraving tool on a cnc...it's like an arc line arc (think like a s) then overlay the same thing flipped 180° then copy it out however far.

I’d grind a fly cutter to look like a trepanning tool w/ a v nose and instead of trying to run across at a high federate I’d plunge it every .050” or whatever. Then you get overlapping circles instead of a sin wave shape.

Scotty Cameron (The old dude who's full of himself) does not use any cnc for the actual face milling. Here's a video. It shows the tool used, but as an relatively new machinist I am unable to identify it. Seems like a two flute indexable which uses triangular inserts? There's honestly not much precision here that an actual machinist would use, he seems to set it in the vice without measuring much, and go by feel more than precision... It's more of a massive scam that golfers fall for constantly to buy these $1000+ putters. Which were milled from under $100 pieces of stock

Edit: It seems quite simple to achieve a 'milled finish' even with the 'improper' tool for the job. I used a 4 inch face mill(7 inserts) at 115 rpm and a pretty fast feed rate and achieved this finish on a vintage putter that cost me $20. I already have had an offer on ebay from a golfer for $200.... milled.jpg considering this was a 7 insert face mill, it gave me quite a good pattern. No need to overcomplicate this, golfers=stupid they do not care for true precision machining, only "good looks"

Plunging would be a lot more controllable if only doing a single putter. If I was doing a lot I would find the RPM/feedrate that gave the desired finish so it was quick and repeatable. Not rocket science, pretty simple. Different insert shapes and angles could give differing results too. Could be fun to play around with if you're into that sort of thing. Maybe you'll find the next "fad" putter face finish and make a few bucks. :D

Plunging would be a lot more controllable if only doing a single putter. If I was doing a lot I would find the RPM/feedrate that gave the desired finish so it was quick and repeatable. Not rocket science, pretty simple. Different insert shapes and angles could give differing results too. Could be fun to play around with if you're into that sort of thing. Maybe you'll find the next "fad" putter face finish and make a few bucks. :D

I will give it a go. As a 17 year old, I am in it for the pocket money. :D

Looks like a fly cutter missing every other tooth with a higher feed rate.

I dont know why golfers would be flocking towards these because wouldn't the groves possibly change the direction of the ball?

The golfers will fall for anything. The grooves do cause more change in the direction if not struck perfectly (a straight back and through stroke), but it's marketed to "improve control" (like your average golfer has any control haha).

If you intend to sell these to golfers, you might not want to make such condescending remarks about them on the internet. As a 17 year old you have a lot more to learn than just how to machine stuff...

Ornamental Turners also used patterns much like this, but manually indexing the part over and with plunge cuts using a V shaped cutting tool in pretty much a more lightly built version of what we have today as a boring head. They also weren't adverse to sometimes skipping short sections in a repeating pattern which obviously couldn't be achieved with how that video shows it's being done with that slow rpm fast feed rate. At least with a manual machine it couldn't. But a bit odd they would be still using a BP for this today. Bragging rights just so they can say there "hand machined"? If golfers are this gullible? It shouldn't be hard to come up with something/anything else different enough to easily separate them from their cash.

Ornamental Turners also used patterns much like this, but manually indexing the part over and with plunge cuts using a V shaped cutting tool in pretty much a more lightly built version of what we have today as a boring head. They also weren't adverse to sometimes skipping short sections in a repeating pattern which obviously couldn't be achieved with how that video shows it's being done with that slow rpm fast feed rate. At least with a manual machine it couldn't. But a bit odd they would be still using a BP for this today. Bragging rights just so they can say there "hand machined"? If golfers are this gullible? It shouldn't be hard to come up with something/anything else different enough to easily separate them from their cash.

Thank you, much appreciated.

If you intend to sell these to golfers, you might not want to make such condescending remarks about them on the internet. As a 17 year old you have a lot more to learn than just how to machine stuff...

I do not intend to base a career off machining putters, it's more of a hobby. I understand my remarks are harsh, but as someone who is constantly playing with older, retired, rich, golfers I get to see the majority of them on the course and understand how they are. I used harsh remarks in order to get across how gullible some golfers can be. If you take a look at all the golf gimmicks that have made millions over the years, it is quite obvious. By no means are precision milled putters a gimmick, but considering these can be cranked out rather fast on a cnc machine, the prices are outrageous. The manufacturers understand their market. I apologize if my posts offended you. Thankfully we remain anonymous on the internet unless we have our full name linked to ourself.

I wasn't offended, nor was I saying that you were necessarily wrong in your comments. The same sort of things could be said about gun, camera, fishing, guitar, etc enthusiasts. Any hobby/pursuit whose followers have lots of cash to spend on tools, gadgets, and accessories. It's provided a nice living for many of us.

What I was saying that you'd be well advised to keep snarky comments off the internet, where they make you come off like a jerk, at best. Think about all the careers that have been ended by careless remarks that somehow became public. Save them for friends around a table with a beer or joint or whatever. Good luck.

Back