What's new
What's new

Boley 5LZ - some newbies questions

bycniemoze

Plastic
Hello, my name is Bartosz, living in Poland, I am an IT professional and hobby machinist.

Recently i bought Boley 5LZ from '60s and I am slowly starting to get familiar with this machine. First I had many problems with it's electrical connections, seems it will not work with nowadays differential switches so I had to bypass that. But it turns on now!
And this is the reason I am writing there to you, I have seen we have some users of this or similar models and maybe you will be able to support me in my journey.

1. With the lathe I received a 4 jaw chuck, 3 jaw chuck and set of collets 1-20mm. The collets screw into lathe nose and there is a leaver to tighten it. My question is mostly related to that leaver action:
When pulling the leaver, the collet does close, but when letting the leaver it springs back open. The leaver does not hold it tighten.
How this should work, am I missing something?

2. My drive belt seems to be quite worn, also tearing apart in one place. It also likes to slip from the pulleys or turn without friction, just loose, also the pulleys it turns seems to be oily, I assume they should be dry? I think I need to replace the belt. Does anyone knows the specification of this belt (kind, length)? Is this replaceable without removing whole the spindle?

I will probably add some more questions later on.

I can see i misspelt the "lever" all over the place. Hope it's still understandable and sorry.

Thanks for your support up front!

Back