What's new
What's new

Bore gage setting fixture cross compatibility?

Bradsc1989

Plastic
this is A very specific question so I may not get an answer but figured it wouldnt hurt to ask.

I have the Mitutoyo 511-931-20 dial bore gage set. I was looking to pick up a setting fixture but didn’t really want to spend almost $2k on the mitutoyo fixture. I saw that both starrett and Fowler have one that’s more in my price range. In the photos of each fixture it shows a bore gage with the wheels like my Mitutoyo has. My concern is that there is a difference in some dimensional difference in the wheels themselves or the way they are arranged on the tool causing it to not be accurate. Any one have any useful insight?

the setting fixtures I had in mind:

Either one of those will work with any gauge.

I'm not familiar with the Mits setting stand, but you can do the same as the ones you show using gauge blocks, a clamp thing, and two long jaws.

The best setting stands gently hold the gauge in place in a cradle. You rotate the cradle to get the min reading in one plane, then rock the gauge in the other plane to get the min. Sunnen makes a great one specific to their gauges. It uses a supermike. And, yeah, it is spendy.

The bore gages can be set to size with a Mitutoyo height master and a set of accessory blocks. The height master is available on Ebay for as low as $250
The accessory blocks, part number 515-121, appear frequently in the $100 dollar range. The instructions for using the accessory blocks are available on the Mitutoyo website in the height master section.

Last edited:
The bore gages can be set to size with a Mitutoyo height master and a set of accessory blocks. The height master is available on Ebay for as low as $250
The accessory blocks, part number 515-121, appear frequently in the $100 dollar range. The instructions for using the accessory blocks are available on the Mitutoyo website in the height master section.

+$129.99 shipping for that particular unit, approaching the cost of the brand new Starrett, I think id rather have the new tool. There was another one that you posted in the related items priced at $1000 so I’m not sure they would accept an offer of $250. I do appreciate another option though

Either one of those will work with any gauge.

I'm not familiar with the Mits setting stand, but you can do the same as the ones you show using gauge blocks, a clamp thing, and two long jaws.

The best setting stands gently hold the gauge in place in a cradle. You rotate the cradle to get the min reading in one plane, then rock the gauge in the other plane to get the min. Sunnen makes a great one specific to their gauges. It uses a supermike. And, yeah, it is spendy.
Thank you sir. I figured this was the case but wanted to see if I could get any feedback before pulling the trigger

Any two parallel objects work fine. I've used the Sunnen one, gage blocks, and even OD mics. As long as the faces of your two parallel objects are wide enough you're fine.

If you start talking 3 point bore gages you need a ring gage.

Depending on the tolerance window youre trying to accurately measure be sure you are getting gauge blocks that are good enough. I know those sets wouldnt work for me.

Depending on the tolerance window youre trying to accurately measure be sure you are getting gauge blocks that are good enough. I know those sets wouldnt work for me.
True, but also true with any gage. If you're counting microns you should probably be on at least a grade 0 set and be using the compensation sheet as well.

A generic off the shelf mic. often lies by a micron as well, even if people pretend they're perfect.

Thats my point, dont try to measure microns with the cheapest blocks, you wont even know how far off you are lol. But if you are trying to measure .0002 youll be fine, its all in what you need to measure "accurately", and accuracy does not come cheap.

Our Lathe guy has a set of Mitutoyo Bore gages, and so far what he's used are one of two things depending on the job/tolerance:

1) A Micrometer set to the target dimension and locked in place. The bore gage fits between the anvils.
2) A Vice (not beat up, in good condition, and we "precision grind" vices if we feel the need when we buy them) and square gage blocks matching the target dimension. Bore gage slips between the vice jaws, and if you need help with alignment you can rest the bottom of the bore gage to the bed of the vice.

Works fine, ID's have consistent / in tolerance measurements.

While I can't comment directly on the OP's Q, it may be worth noting that, back a ways, the guys in the Standards Lab didn't trust bore gages set to a stack of blocks (in those days, grade 1) in cages with fingers or a set fixture any closer than 0.0002, and requiring rings for close work.

Two point bore gauge and microns or even tenths. Hmmm
Tell me your 6 under testing over three days.
Show me the math or charts. Give it to someone else to check. Same numbers? Why not?
There is the measure it more times until it checks good.
There is a error on setting a zero. Do you know that number?
Then add the same error on checking a part. Now those two add up or maybe they cancel.

Last edited:

Back