What's new
What's new

Broaching on a '91 VF-1

magno_grail

Hot Rolled
Hi, I am prototyping a motorcycle clutch basket and need to broach the slots for the plate tabs. The plan is to use Z moves with a parting tool to shave the slots with the basket on a rotary table. The problem is the spindle lock allows the spindle to rotate slightly so I need a way to hold the spindle in one position. My thought is to make a ring that will use set screws around the spindle nose (or a split ring with bolts clamping it) with a flat bar screwed to the side of it. Replace the tool holder set screw with a threaded rod that goes through the plate with nuts on either side to lock it in place after the tool is tightened.
Any better suggestions (other than taking it to a broaching shop who will not have the right broach anyway)?
Thanks

Would you say the spindle rotates slightly or you are able to wiggle it by hand then returns to its orginal position? I just broached a ton of 1/4" keyways on my haas just using the orient.

Just mount your tool to the headstock, or the spindle housing, not in the spindle.
Ya I would agree there is likely some tapped holes on the underside you can mount to., takes the spindle out of the equation.
Or use a “accessory tool” pin that sets the location. Same was a angle head would install into your machine.
Defiantly consider a broaching tool if your going that wide in one pass.
If using the spindle I’d personally do multiple widths to put less stress on the bearings

Hi, I am prototyping a motorcycle clutch basket and need to broach the slots for the plate tabs. The plan is to use Z moves with a parting tool to shave the slots with the basket on a rotary table. The problem is the spindle lock allows the spindle to rotate slightly so I need a way to hold the spindle in one position. My thought is to make a ring that will use set screws around the spindle nose (or a split ring with bolts clamping it) with a flat bar screwed to the side of it. Replace the tool holder set screw with a threaded rod that goes through the plate with nuts on either side to lock it in place after the tool is tightened.
Any better suggestions (other than taking it to a broaching shop who will not have the right broach anyway)?
Thanks
If what you refer to as spindle lock is M19 there will always be some movement.

I planned to use several passes to cut the pocket. I have to make some lateral cuts also since the plate tabs are wider than 1/2".
I could make a plate that mounts using the spindle cartridge bolts. I already changed the spindle bearings so I am familiar with the arrangement, and it would take the load off the spindle bearings. It makes alignment with the centre of the rotary trickier.
I should have said "Orient Spindle" button on the keypad.

Back