What's new
What's new

Chasing "tail" on 3+2 solutions... Mazak Variaxis J-500, DMG Mori DMU 50/DMU eco?

Wow...

Was wondering when Dennis (dstryr) was going to show up :)

The 4+1 machine he refers to (I believe) is a Quaser. The Quaser 5-axis UX300 was our first choice back when we were looking till we found out it would be four months delivery due to demand. If nothing else we thought it should win an award for dollars per pound - was something like $220K and weighed >20,000lbs. Also has Heidenhain control.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2tP4YB2fhU

Fred

WOW...

even with belt drives ...

wow

wooow,,, So I was going to write some diatribe about that I am going to stick with 3+1 (4th axis work) on Okuma Genos machines and be real MAN and make kick as fixturing and keep my designs brutally simple and have that be a sort of "Swiss" aesthetic for the system, camera designs/positioning/3d surveying equipment... [More prismatic, less organic]. Keep it super precise and old school. And then spout off about how I am not going to drink the 3+2 "Coolaid" anymore and think more like a "REAL" machinist and be done with it !

And then you showed me that video..., where I was drooling from beginning to end... I think that video really targets my kind of mind set. Its funny I was asking our Okuma reps/sales guys whether Okuma would ever have any plans to bring out a Genos line 3+2 solution based on older models/castings as I think that is missing from their product line and would be a worthwhile "gap" in the market to plug.

Now I see that in some sense Quaser got there first! ISH... (don't dis-embowel me for saying a Quaser and Genos/Okuma are exactly equivalent.).

So on that Quaser machine, I start drooling seeing the renishaw lasers bouncing of stuff... My mandarin/Taiwanese is not so good, but I guess from the video it shows (if you blow it up), 4.1 micron circular interpolation in the XY plane and with volumetric compensation/calibration that you have a maximum volumetric error (from rotational axes only) of 10 micron .. Which is amazing... So I wonder is that a "GOOD DAY" for that machine or is that pretty typical assuming constant temperature and gentle kinematics?

I have no idea who sells or sources or supports Quaser in the Rocky Mountain region/Denver. Will check it out for sure...

[I like the touch in the video where they show the guy's feet going under a foot well/recess in the casting, as initially it does look like you would need a couple of raised steps/platform in front of the machine.. (maybe the guy is actually 6'6")...

Thanks Big time...

Eric,

RE: your question about effect of getting a 5-axis on our engineers...uh, yeah. Initially, all sorts of ecstasy about future designs, but then we reeled them back in. Ultimately they had a choice - work with us on designs that are machinable or, go indulge themselves with the 3D printer.

In the end, the real plus for our products was the freedom to work with more geometrically complex designs WHEN NECESSARY, and to produce parts that require multiple features to be kept in tight registration.

Fred

"RE: your question about effect of getting a 5-axis on our engineers...uh, yeah. Initially, all sorts of ecstasy about future designs, but then we reeled them back in. Ultimately they had a choice - work with us on designs that are machinable or, go indulge themselves with the 3D printer."

I laughed my arse off at that... On so many levels...

In essence I am having to reel myself in... Sort of "work through it" emotionally... go through that process you describe under one "cranium". If I had a dollar everytime someone said... "Ohh so do you do 3d printing/" I go "No..! I do 3d imaging..."... "Then I go on some long diatribe about surface finishes blah blah blah and that mills, lathes, and multi axis machines are the REAL 3d "printers" of our age... And if had a dollar for every time someone asked me about 3d printing, then I could actually buy one ;-) [I'm not kidding every aunt, uncle, acquaintance, and their pet and their spider plant incessantly find the need to send me links about 3d printing!!!] I feel like saying no I only engineer in one dimension... "code".

[3d printing has been around for a long time... I really liked the idea of those machines that would print out in a high precision high density micro crystalline wax. Then you can do one off type precision castings... Those machines seem to be a fading memory where you ask... Where are those machines now? So I really liked that idea as I felt that was a more direct route from CAD to "Metal" for complex organic geometries and then do old school facing and boring operations, like the "curvy" machines and castings of the 1950's].

Last edited:
Quaser corporate video...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRctZ6JRcI0

this is the Quaser corporate video...

It's funny that they seek to push a lot of "German" buttons in a good way...

They use Beethoveen's 5th symphony (last movement)... Show Leitz CMMs, throw in devoted looking people to making your machine (at all hours)... People pretending to use dial test indicators and metrology equipment... (better looking "stand-ins" for the corporate video than the real operators)... Operators wearing expensive looking watches to "show" they are well paid, Supposed seasoning of cast iron and all that... Black uniforms and well organized modern grey offices... (the CEO looks like a cool and charismatic "sage like" industrial "dude")...

Looks very impressive.

At least they actually make an effort to try and "push" the right buttons...

Seems to play a lot better than a MAZAK video... (ha, ha)..

I know there are a billion threads about what Quaser actually makes.. but the Quaser UX300 looks very good for the money and Heidenhain control and all that... Assuming they can be sourced...

Gives me a good vibe/seek to pull the trigger on type of thing.

Cool :smoking:

Doosan DNM 350/5ax vs Quaser UX300?

It's cool and interesting that a thread that starts out essentially DMU 50 vs. Mazak Variaxis j-500 I-600 (chasing tail on 2+3 solution) ends up being more about Matsuura mx-520 Vs. Mazak Variaxis J-500... Or Doosan 350/5ax vs. Quaser UX300. The Mazak vs. DMG DMU 50 sort of self destructed and out of the ashes emerges quite different choices.

The Doosan 350/5ax has the same nominal max swing and height as the Quaser UX300 and similar to the Matsuura Mx-520 but mx being 520mmm max swing diameter... So probably wouldn't lump an Mx-520 with the other two for many reasons perhaps.

Doosan 350/5ax Heidenhain full five axis, glas scales etc etc more in the neighborhood of $230K ish...

:scratchchin:

In some ways were are lucky that we live in times where these types of machines and applications are becoming a competitive segment and sector of the market...

Kinda comes back to local "territories" and support...

Jend machine tools in Longmont Co appear to be carry the YMT lines... (not far from Denver at all)... Will check it out..

FRED thanks so much and Dennis/Dstryr!

:cheers:

Big "heads" (thick skull) and big table... 3+2 does not equal 3+1 + extra setup...

cameraman - you keep talking about "configuration" and it's maybe worth commenting on that.

My main machine is a DMU-60 from 2006 - it has a rotary table embedded in a flat main table and B-axis swivel head. While a very flexible and versatile arrangement, it's also quite asymmetric, which eventually drives one nuts. I've not compared it with a trunion machine (a current DMU-65) nor a rotary-on-rotary sticking out machine (Grob, Mikron, and I guess current DMU-50) for rigidity or accuracy. But for all of them, you have 2 rotary axes somewhere, and the need to set the kinematics and transforms. And for all of them, even an A/B head or A/C head (think Fidia) some need for fixturing to get the part up off the table so you can get at it without a collision.

What I would reiterate is that you should focus on is the physical layout of the machine combined with its travels. A DMU60 (or DMU80 or DMU100) is not symmetric. I think a lot of machines with tool changers to one side may not have 100% reach in X (opposite the tool changer.)

And things like "how close can I get the side of the head to the table" which are so irrelevent as to be absurd for 3-axis machine loom large in 3+2 or 5 work.

Bryan and others 2out3, rlockwood ... Thanks for driving home that point of "big head and big table".

Sometimes it takes a bit of time to get through my thick skull.

I think with the 3+2 "idea" it is tempting to think that 5 axis positional is the same as 4th axis solution that can be tilted.

A lot of you have been saying about right size of table for the particular part in question and whether the head allows the tool to be brought to the work without absurdly long tools/holders. Many of you have been saying about having parts fixtured at least 8" off the table. So in our case one of our most crital components is stainless (not hardened or ground yet) the size and dimensions of a really big mug (diam 5" by 6 to 8" long) that requires indexed 4th axis milling axially along its outer surfaces. These surfaces will have a number crossed roller bearing assemblies fitted to them... So it has to be fiendishly precise even allowing for various adjustments. So on a really good 3 axis mill with deadly accurate 4th axis and very careful set up this can be achieved... Then refixture to (top and tail) so 4 sides (really 24 +) on 4th axis then finish the two remaining faces (the part is turned in various ways before hand). But thinking of the larger table more "general purpose" 3+2 solutions that allow a swing of 400 mm + and sizes of the "heads" that some of these machines come with, then it does look like the fixturing and intended process becomes a little ungainly/mad as such a component (the mug) would have to be fixtured 8" + off the table (as you guys have been saying), kinda killing the precision and rigidity of the cuts needed... As well as having to create a very large fixture to achieve rigidity, and you still have the inherent angular error on the trunion axis...

If we were making boxy camera bodies with compound angles and faces (like an Arri/Alexa) then 3+2 would be cool (10" x 5" x 5" ) complex "block". Our camera/ parts/ assemblies are quite different especially the lens mechanics where 3+1 (4th axis) on a three axis mill are mandatory... And it seems that 3+2 does not "act" like 3+1 plus an extra set up or two. I do note there are smaller table 5 sided machines that might fit the bill but precision and cutting power in materials more challenging than heat tempered/treated aluminum may be lacking or are prohibitively expensive.

I do also note that Integrex style machines or 4 and 5 axis cnc "lathes" might fit the bill but the C axis precision is not so wonderful for what we need and also in a lot of cases the driven turrets or separate milling heads still boil down to a 7 hp "mill" that is not necessarily as rigid as a well built good 40" x 20" 3 axis mill.

So long story short I am kinda coming round to the idea that good and smart fixturing and simple and clean design will win the day on machines that don't cost over $300k each. It's interesting that the setting jigs that we need to assemble the cameras are more involved and intricate than the cameras themselves so I guess I should not to be too worried about "extra" fixturing.

I think the other thing that's at the back of my mind is that eventually when production steps up that it is possible to build specific machines to execute a particular "cut" for some smaller components and processes. Sometimes we forget that not everything has to be made or manufactured on a 3rd party machine tool.

AND much like the sim 5 axis "frenzy" of a decade ago it may be that 3+2 is not the panacea that one would initially hope it to be but might be a good "fit" for very specific components and manufacturing set up (as a lot of you have been saying). So I guess my thesis (now) is that a "Universal" machine is actually not that "Universal" after all... :-)

Thanks to all those that helped me see the "light" on this... :-) :bowdown: (that emoticon reminds too much of Sgt. Brody from "Homeland"... :-) Well Thanks a million!!!! (you get the idea)... :-) (Very grateful)

Eric

Last edited:
That's areal steal AND you have proof with 50 hours that the thing actually does what it was "bred" to do. I was quoted on a 2004 Integrex 200-3st... For $150K But frankly I don't have the "balls" knowledge and time (perhaps) and risk of taking on board such a complex older machine with a somewhat unknown history. But I do agree that there is a lot of merit to purchashing a nearly new machine that has had all the kinks and bugs worked out. All my life I do a lot with horses... And that is always the first question when buying a horse (as all horses are "second hand" in a sense (unless you breed them yourself).. The question being "Reason for sale???". So when I see nearly new machines for sale I always think... Why are they selling it, what went wrong??? But I think someone such as yourself is FAAAAAR more capable of assessing the merits of used machines that I.. So that's kind of why I am kind of pursuing the "new" or "newish" route.
Well, we pulled the trigger on the purchase. Will be here next Monday. I am already drooling. This is our third Integrex. We have had great success with our first two. The shop we purchased it from lost their only employee who had any experience with Mazaks, and they have not run it in several years. There is still cosmoline on much of the machine, and it looks as if it has never been run.

I honestly didn't read all of this since there are a lot of longer posts, here is my two cents. I run a Haas UMC-750 and use Mastercam to program with. First, I will say although everyone will say Mastercam does not read the gcode to run the simulation, the 5 axis does to my knowledge. We purchased machine sim and the 5 axis post from a third party, but it loads into Mastercam so it is not a stand-alone. When I load up my 5 axis simulation (complete with the UMC machine model) it runs through the entire posting process first then the machine sim loads and I am ready to verify. I can do collision checking and check minimum tool lengths, but I personally just verify I don't have a collision between the toolholder and stock/part/fixture and/or the machine housing and table. I have not yet seen an overtravel in Z that would be the result of too short a tool with this machine, now with the tiny Robodrill... One thing I will say about the collision detection, and it was this way on camplete I used before with a robodrill, it is only as good as your transform numbers YOU plug in. If I put in a Z transform of 8" and in reality on the machine it is only 6" (distance from table top to part zero in Z axis), my whole verification process is hosed.

I don't think the accuracy is great on the UMC as I see mismatch on surfaces when I machine them from different angles. Although I don't really surface to that fine of a finish, and I am running pretty fast so it could be tool deflection and filtering tolerances too coming into play. The UMC does come with the Renishaw kit to check your rotary and true rotational center, and it is easy to do. I have checked mine twice now since I been using the 3+2 and 4+1 and my numbers have been within tenths both times, but I still see some mismatch so I am not sure what is going on. If I need to hold something close and use 3+2 I probe a different work offset after I rotate the part into position. Maybe not a deal breaker for what you need to do, but it can be a PITA to use multiple work offsets, especially if you are making one or two pieces.

Well, we pulled the trigger on the purchase. Will be here next Monday. I am already drooling. This is our third Integrex. We have had great success with our first two. The shop we purchased it from lost their only employee who had any experience with Mazaks, and they have not run it in several years. There is still cosmoline on much of the machine, and it looks as if it has never been run.

Sounds like the Integrex is in good hands... Would be a dream for us to run such a productive machine one day ... You can drool and in the meantime I can dream... [20 years ago I used to work at the Smithsonian/National air and space museum and used to get into a lot of arguments about the use of CRC cosmoline..! But cool that your machine appears "mint" ] Do post new machine pics if you can would be really cool to see it doing its thing.

Best of luck... (in a good way):-)

Eric

Sounds like the Integrex is in good hands... Would be a dream for us to run such a productive machine one day ... You can drool and in the meantime I can dream... [20 years ago I used to work at the Smithsonian/National air and space museum and used to get into a lot of arguments about the use of CRC cosmoline..! But cool that your machine appears "mint" ] Do post new machine pics if you can would be really cool to see it doing its thing.

Best of luck... (in a good way):-)

Eric

I will some post some pics when we get her uncrated. Next comes the fun part-tooling it up!

Sounds like that Smithsonian job would have been a dream. Was that in D.C.?

I will some post some pics when we get her uncrated. Next comes the fun part-tooling it up!

Sounds like that Smithsonian job would have been a dream. Was that in D.C.?

Yup... I had research fellowship there. I originally trained as materials scientist and conservator, and have side stepped careers for about 20 years after that for something that can actually make money! But I was mainly at the Suitland Maryland Garber facility Aircraft restoration facility where they had the Enola Gay in 50, 000 pieces at the time. Got to work on some really interesting projects but also worked on research based on the deterioration and storage of elastomeric components belonging to the "Nation's collection of Space Suits..." As a trained conservator I was able to help and advise on more museum friendly restoration practices than smear and spray cosmoline all over everything.. (used to get into almost "fist fights" with x-military personnel over that one!) Things are much better now (I hope;-)) . Have yet to see the new facility at Dulles... Looks amazing.

Definately will be cool to learn something from your pics and how it goes... So I certainly will be "watching" the Integrex "space".

That was worth jacking a July 2015 thread for.

I notice you a tapatalk warrior. Any coincidence?

I was wondering whether "BugRobotics" was the girl/family that builds the Robot Wars/battle bots killer robot that looks like a giant Lady Bug.

Sorted! Not chasing "Tail" at least not that kind of tail...

Ohhhhh man this is cringe worthy thread Cameraman the Newb 2015.... (let the thread sink or post an "update".... ) Hmmmm.

So worthy of a possible update. Maybe ...

So interestingly both Mazak and DMG Mori did in fact turn out really excellent new sim 5 axis solutions in this arena (in the intervening period).

DMG Mori Europe rolled out the NEW third generation DMU-50 which frankly looks really freaking good for the $!(Precision accuracy and work volume and spindle)... However DMG Mori USA seem to be cowardly "Custards" for some reason and want to hold off on launching the DMU-50 3rd Gen in the USA? (maybe that will change very soon). Seems they would rather push a well priced DMU-65 Mb (mono-block).

And similarly Mazak also launched the VC 500 5ax (which is also sim 5 axis using Sooth X control) and they fixed the floating leg and made a waaaay better machine (than previous/early VCU attempts), and the VC 500 5ax looks and seems also very excellent in the flesh and the parts it can produce! The other smaller variaxis machines seem to be excellent as well and of course the larger Variaxis are very serious beasts indeed for really serious production work (not what we do at the moment).

[When I said Hardinge and Hartwig would probably spilt (12-18 months before they did), everyone thought I was smoking "Crack on that" (so they did split), and Seems that continued contraction will serve Hardinge well but not necessarily those in far flung territories (like Rocky Mountain Region). The XT-630 5 axis seems like a very worthy brute and beast indeed, especially for about $260K, but probably need more 5 axis support in house to make those sell as well as they have in Europe. Definitely the v1000 is a very worthy offering especially for the $ and some of the deals they have on the H-51 conquest "Super Precision" for about $130K is very hard to ignore. Great to see aggrieve pricing to put those into the hands of more folks needing that level of precision and accuracy. ].

[Doosan also had very worthy offerings but also bailed from our territory/ CO at least, another one to scrumple up into a little ball and throw over one's shoulder.].

[Also DMG Mori restructured and bought Triad, so a few worthy lines and offerings were also dropped locally too, as a natural consequence].

Mazak I-200 60" between centers, travelling steady rest, tailstock, one spindle, sim 5 axis (smooth-X control), 36 tools (indexable capto type/flash tooling) ..., critically the new I-200 (s) have 10.25" travel in Y, but can also swing a 25" diameter part close the left hand wall and main turning spindle, so working volume is quite similar to a smaller variaxis machine apart from being able to do longer (smaller diameter 5 axis parts/shafts) combined with turning operations (perfect for our parts). The guys at the WestCoast Mazak Aerospace center are truly excellent really/ great bunch and are very serious and tenacious about solving application problems. MAZAK also has a very serious and GOOD presence in Colorado also. On the SW Cad/Cam side I love my SolidCAM but I am in the process of switching to Esprit which is what folks at West Coast Mazak center use for tricky 5 axis stuff (really good on the mill turn operations and post plays real nice), so it's much more of a guarantee that the tricky processes can be de-bugged and solved with HELP! :-) Rather than being left in the dark "Twisting in the wind"...[I love the whole Mazatrol paradigm too]. Also probably in the process of possibly dumping my Solidworks licenses (tired of getting fleeced by those guys... for SolidEdge /Siemens PLM + subscription,very good design tools, and dependable validation tools, but the subscription "model" will be a much better fit for how we work.[A few things need to be sorted out (work-holding/tooling etc.), but maybe expect a retro-active "New machine" thread from me more to show what can actually be done in short-ish/reasonable amount of time after a machine hits the floor at least for our "Environment". Perhaps more meaningful than a new machine that is not yet doing anything... It's more about how the machine meets the work/application IMO (in our type of in-house scenarios , small production, complex high precision parts + product development with a window to a smidge of automation when we hit larger numbers for certain part/product families (still small-ish volume)).].

Thanks for bailing me out cameraman. Wonderful thread btw.

I've not been lucky enough to make any robotics for Robot Wars...someday. Mostly industrial machinery for hazardous areas. But I'm in Denver and would love to come see your work on your machines someday.

Thanks for bailing me out cameraman. Wonderful thread btw.

I've not been lucky enough to make any robotics for Robot Wars...someday. Mostly industrial machinery for hazardous areas. But I'm in Denver and would love to come see your work on your machines someday.

You bet would love to... We've been working in secret for faaaaar to long so really itching to show folks especially locally what we have been getting up to. On the imaging side of things we have things that are relevant to the nuclear industry, so "Machinery and hazardous areas" is for sure very important work, and very interesting too.

Cheers (much).

Eric

You bet would love to... We've been working in secret for faaaaar to long so really itching to show folks especially locally what we have been getting up to. On the imaging side of things we have things that are relevant to the nuclear industry, so "Machinery and hazardous areas" is for sure very important work, and very interesting too.

Cheers (much).

Eric

Very cool. Yea, I used to exclusively build and deploy robotics and controllers for underwater nuclear reactor inspections. Can't say I miss outage season! Very cool work with awesome challenges.

Ohhhhh man this is cringe worthy thread Cameraman the Newb 2015.... (let the thread sink or post an "update".... ) Hmmmm.

So worthy of a possible update. Maybe ...

So interestingly both Mazak and DMG Mori did in fact turn out really excellent new sim 5 axis solutions in this arena (in the intervening period).

DMG Mori Europe rolled out the NEW third generation DMU-50 which frankly looks really freaking good for the $!(Precision accuracy and work volume and spindle)... However DMG Mori USA seem to be cowardly "Custards" for some reason and want to hold off on launching the DMU-50 3rd Gen in the USA? (maybe that will change very soon). Seems they would rather push a well priced DMU-65 Mb (mono-block).

And similarly Mazak also launched the VC 500 5ax (which is also sim 5 axis using Sooth X control) and they fixed the floating leg and made a waaaay better machine (than previous/early VCU attempts), and the VC 500 5ax looks and seems also very excellent in the flesh and the parts it can produce! The other smaller variaxis machines seem to be excellent as well and of course the larger Variaxis are very serious beasts indeed for really serious production work (not what we do at the moment).

[When I said Hardinge and Hartwig would probably spilt (12-18 months before they did), everyone thought I was smoking "Crack on that" (so they did split), and Seems that continued contraction will serve Hardinge well but not necessarily those in far flung territories (like Rocky Mountain Region). The XT-630 5 axis seems like a very worthy brute and beast indeed, especially for about $260K, but probably need more 5 axis support in house to make those sell as well as they have in Europe. Definitely the v1000 is a very worthy offering especially for the $ and some of the deals they have on the H-51 conquest "Super Precision" for about $130K is very hard to ignore. Great to see aggrieve pricing to put those into the hands of more folks needing that level of precision and accuracy. ].

[Doosan also had very worthy offerings but also bailed from our territory/ CO at least, another one to scrumple up into a little ball and throw over one's shoulder.].

[Also DMG Mori restructured and bought Triad, so a few worthy lines and offerings were also dropped locally too, as a natural consequence].

Mazak I-200 60" between centers, travelling steady rest, tailstock, one spindle, sim 5 axis (smooth-X control), 36 tools (indexable capto type/flash tooling) ..., critically the new I-200 (s) have 10.25" travel in Y, but can also swing a 25" diameter part close the left hand wall and main turning spindle, so working volume is quite similar to a smaller variaxis machine apart from being able to do longer (smaller diameter 5 axis parts/shafts) combined with turning operations (perfect for our parts). The guys at the WestCoast Mazak Aerospace center are truly excellent really/ great bunch and are very serious and tenacious about solving application problems. MAZAK also has a very serious and GOOD presence in Colorado also. On the SW Cad/Cam side I love my SolidCAM but I am in the process of switching to Esprit which is what folks at West Coast Mazak center use for tricky 5 axis stuff (really good on the mill turn operations and post plays real nice), so it's much more of a guarantee that the tricky processes can be de-bugged and solved with HELP! :-) Rather than being left in the dark "Twisting in the wind"...[I love the whole Mazatrol paradigm too]. Also probably in the process of possibly dumping my Solidworks licenses (tired of getting fleeced by those guys... for SolidEdge /Siemens PLM + subscription,very good design tools, and dependable validation tools, but the subscription "model" will be a much better fit for how we work.[A few things need to be sorted out (work-holding/tooling etc.), but maybe expect a retro-active "New machine" thread from me more to show what can actually be done in short-ish/reasonable amount of time after a machine hits the floor at least for our "Environment". Perhaps more meaningful than a new machine that is not yet doing anything... It's more about how the machine meets the work/application IMO (in our type of in-house scenarios , small production, complex high precision parts + product development with a window to a smidge of automation when we hit larger numbers for certain part/product families (still small-ish volume)).].

lol almost two years later man! Need to pull the trigger :)
Its like computers... if you wait for the best you will always be waiting :)

lol almost two years later man! Need to pull the trigger :)
Its like computers... if you wait for the best you will always be waiting :)

Indeed!

Nah I'm good super chill with my decision and I got the retroactive "New Machine" thread idea out of your play book. LOL.

Just FYI my right hand man/brother in law (extremely knowledgeable and skilled and experienced machinist/ forman) got killed in a motor cycle accident (super tragic and pointless), So he was the MAN to really carry this all forward and move out here, amazing cat/beautiful guy... totally senseless/incomprehensible?), instead I have had to figure this all out from scratch myself and roll up my sleeves to get sh*t done and not go super broke. Then I got divorced... That was good, but super destructive in its own ways... And not very cheap either lol/not lol.. (I know some of you on PM forum have gone down that path too), and then re-married recently (very happy (now)) and had to move my business to a new state) and have had a bunch of weird inexplicable injuries that have set me back about 8 months..??? So all in all I'm not doing too badly :-) (considering). Lot of bad and weird AND good ducks to all get in a line and also Hardinge and Doosan vanished too locally... (So that was time wasted)/lesson learnt.) But I always find a way to move things forward one way or another, hook or by crook. Curtis Mayfield "Keep on keeping on..."

Curtis Mayfield - Keep On Keeping On - YouTube

My thing is IF it doesn't FEEL right and seems awkward, strained and pressured then I just won't do it... When it feels right then I KNOW its right. The figuring out how to do the (Integrex) I-200 thing makes me very chill and super happy. Especially spending time in LA. It's a great fit and happy that I was able to accrue funds in the intervening period to make it so. After the I-200 I know I'm going to be waaaay more chill about my next machine purchases... I think for my little "Gang" the first few moves on the Chess board are super critical and then after that the other pieces of the on-going puzzle are going to be much easier to fit together and around everything else. And also easier to figure out what other elements I can farm out more effectively to also be produced.

The I-200 is a perfect fit for my design style, our products we need to roll out and efficiency of process while holding tricky tolerances. Also good we don't have to walk parts around between too many different machines with not so fun and time consuming precision setups (which can also physically screw with your designs), as well as processes + scrap + skills to maintain quality between machines and operations where a single part might otherwise have to go back and fourth seven or more times between machines. Virtually everything we have is 5 axis mill/turn + funky shaft work. I-200 seems like a gorgeous fit for our designs.

Thankfully on the advanced 3d / VR front a few of our ships are coming in ... (Check out HYDROGEN ONE from RED; that's going to be big for us!).

Thanks Dennis/dstryr

:cheers:

P.s. your advice and posts in general have been super helpful (I always pay attention to "dstryr"... Believe me).

Back