What's new
What's new

Cleaning out I.D. grooves in parts

wmpy

Hot Rolled
Hi all. I'm looking for some advice on how to clean out the I.D. grooves on parts. I make a lot of turned parts that have through bores with I.D. grooves in them for O-rings, retaining rings, etc. I would like a better way to clean them out rather than blowing them out one-by-one. The latest part I made is brass with a 3/16" diameter through bore. The small groove inside the bore is filled with brass chips. Most of the other parts I do have larger bores than this, but the problem is the same: chips in the grooves. So what is the best way to get them out? Will an ultrasonic cleaner do anything? Do I need agitation? Spray? An air hose works, but there are nearly 2,000 of this one part, and there are similar quantities of the other parts I make. Thanks in advance.

If you have high pressure coolant make a nozzle that will fit into the bore. Treat it like a tool and position it wherever you need. Especially in brass this will do the trick. Doesn't help much if the parts are done, but next time!

Unfortunately, I do not have high-pressure coolant on any of my machines.

I do not have an ultrasonic cleaner, and I don't have any experience with them. Do the "vibrations" have enough strength to actually move chips? It was my impression that they were just for loosening stuck-on grime.

Back