What's new
What's new

coolant gone bad?

Karl_T

Cast Iron
I scored a 55 gallon drum of Castrol 9954 at an auction ten years ago (for $25)

As this is an almost lifetime supply for me, I moved it to five gallon pails. Keep it inside where it will never freeze.

Changed out the coolant sump out today. Put 1 gallon per 20 water and it did not look right - still clear after mixing. Coolant tester not even on the scale. Threw that nearly empty 5 pail out and went to another. Put almost 2 gallon per twenty to get a reading of 5% on the tester.

It "feels" too slippery. Not scientific but I have had my hands in coolant for forty years.

Maybe my OLD OLD tester is funky??? Just put a drop on a prism and read the scale.

Anyone had synthetic go bad or take more to get a reading when old?

reads just a hair under 0 on tap water. I just use well water that's been through the water softener.

For years I setup new annually at 6-7 %. Then just add water most of the year. Occasional test if below 6% gets more coolant.

Refractometry ratio => ????

You will probably get better answers if you call the manufacturer, but yes coolant does have a shelf life. I think most manufacturers say 1 year but talking, verbally, to a tech should give you far more information. Good question about calibrating your refractometer. I only use one coolant so use an accurate fresh mix to the percentage I want to calibrate mine so I don't need to do any math when using it.

We tried a semi-synthetic years ago where the ratio was 2:1 i think?

Have you used this coolant yet? I mean, was your previous sump full of the same coolant?

I have been using this for ten+ years. Used to use hangstofers S500 before that.

Annual coolant change has been SOP for decades as I shut down for a couple months in winter to go fishing in FL.

Don't know why, got different result this year. still got 25 gallons of Castrol to use. If it gives trouble this year, guess i will toss it out.

Just wanted to see if some one else seen a similar issue.

short answer is I work me arse off during the main season so i can take a long vacation. Main business has been farming apples. strawberries, and Xmas trees with a roadside market. 12 hour days 7 days a week during harvest.

I also design and build custom equipment, that is why I haunt this forum.

You need to calibrate the refractometer

With new coolant I mix up small batches (12oz's) of 5%,7.5% and 10% concentrations and use that to calibrate the refractometer.

I wonder if the emulsifiers have separated from the oils in the coolant.

Could you try using a cordless drill paint mixer in one of your buckets to stir it up before mixing with water?
BINGO!

The first bucket was down to less than 1/2 gallon, it mixed up almost clear,not normal yellowish. Bet it had separated from years before. Gave almost no reading on refractometer. Probably almost pure emulsifier.

I think I farked up on second bucket of castrol. Normally use a 12 oz water bottle full per two gallons water (5%). I was doing 12 oz. per three gallons. Now i got a bunch of water in the sump and it seemed like It took WAY to much Castrol to get up to my 6% target.

For sure I'll mix it before use next year.

Back