What's new
What's new

Dividing head for $299

jscpm

Titanium
Ok, now I have seen it all, a $299 dividing head. If you order now, they will include a set of six steak knives. No need to be paying $5,000 for dividing heads anymore. See, normally, just the forged gear steel in this would cost $300 alone, but their secret is that they don't use steel. It's made out of Chinesinite which only costs 10 cents per pound. There is also some diecastium used that lowers the cost even further. Throw in some Uighur slave laborers and you can pop these puppies out for $15 each. Add the $170 for shipping, distribution and the export license bribe, and you are still making a healthy profit for buying your oligarch yacht!

vevor-dividing-head.png

Last edited:
Well, not really new news. I bought a $259 dividing head many years ago and it isn't bad. Real cast iron and everything. More than adequate for many things; I've used it to make change gears for my lathe. They seemed to disappear from the market for some years, but have returned in this guise with a slightly higher price. Or lower, if you consider inflation. Mine didn't come with a chuck and I have to wonder how great that chuck is, given the price.

If the price seems high, don't forget that a tailstock is included.
This is an excellent machine, designed along the lines of a random number generator - it can be used to produce a ring of up to 33 holes in an infintely large number of identical workpieces, with no two workpieces having the same pattern.

-Marty-

Take the chuck key out of the chuck!!! That could be dangerous if it gets in the wrong hands!!
It does say from China but I've seen where some of this stuff is starting to come in from India which is even worse!

We once needed a high speed motor for a quick experiment. Bought a Vevor 7.5 kW spindle motor off Amazon not expecting much but were pretty blown away. You could balance a nickel on its edge on the extruded housing, spin it up to 18,000 rpm and back to zero and it stayed put. Not bad for $250 delivered. Chinese slaves are getting more talented all the time. Remember when Japan made cheap junk and then suddenly we all discovered Nikon optics were pretty decent?

Having both a good American made dividing head and a couple Chinese made dividing heads at my fingertips, I can say the Chinese ones work, the American ones work well. My antique (over 100 years) American made dividing head blows the much newer import ones away on smoothness of operation, backlash, accuracy and rigidity. But the Chinese models do work, and the included chuck works, however I wouldn't want to rely on it for production or critical work.

i have a couple and they are okay.
no real issue i got them on a trade and had planed on selling them one day need one while mine other was tired up so i used the vevor and decide to keep them and i use them regularly enough.

Back