What's new
What's new

Early Hendey lathe for sale

sawmill7

Plastic
Hello, new here and have a early Hendey lathe for sale. It has been in a old log barn with cement floor. I was asked to remove it so room could be made at museum where it was located.
It now sits at local scrap yard and yard owner asked if I could possibly try to sell it before it is scrapped.
I am by no means a expert on these machines and can only supply pictures and maybe answer some questions.
He is asking 600$ or best offer. Loading on your trailer is included. Feel free to call me if I can be of any help. Located in upper peninsula of Michigan.
Thanks, Bill

906 Two eight four- 94 four eight

Attachments

• IMG_20231011_101932827_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20231011_101932827_HDR.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 66
  • IMG_20231011_101950317_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20231011_101950317_HDR.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 65
  • IMG_20231011_101942571_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20231011_101942571_HDR.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 62
  • IMG_20231011_101924761_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20231011_101924761_HDR.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 59
  • IMG_20231011_101913182_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20231011_101913182_HDR.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 55
  • IMG_20231011_101939438_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20231011_101939438_HDR.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 66
Do you know what size it is? In that condition the price is optimistic to say the least even though, with a lot of work, it could be saved.
I'm looking for a taper attachment, which that lathe has if it's the right size.

How do I determine the size?
It's cast into the front of the bed. Probably have to move the carriage to the right a little to see it. You will see a number like 12x6, 14x10 ect. The first number is the swing, second number is length of bed in feet.

It's cast into the front of the bed. Probably have to move the carriage to the right a little to see it. You will see a number like 12x6, 14x10 ect. The first number is the swing, second number is length of bed in f

It's cast into the front of the bed. Probably have to move the carriage to the right a little to see it. You will see a number like 12x6, 14x10 ect. The first number is the swing, second number is length of bed in feet.
Will look today and get back to you.

I did private message Hendeyman with serial man

sawmill7:

Your lathe is 16" x 6' Hendey Cone Head model that was completed during mid-September 1911. It was shipped with a Taper
Attachment. The only reference to the owner is WMP and I have no idea who that company was, but a quick search of the
records indicates that they bought at least one other Hendey lathe. During 1913-1918, each size of lathe was redesigned
and again in the 1918-1922 period. Because of these changes, may I suggest that anyone planning on buying parts from
another Hendey lathe consider listing the Serial Number from their lathe and the donor lathe to make certain that the parts
will interchange. There are no longer any Patterns, Castings or Repair Parts left in inventory for this lathe, but all of the
original drawings are still in the files, so parts can be made if required. NOTE: We have just completed digitizing all of the
Hendey microfilm, over 25 thousand frames. Now we have to separate out the individual drawings in each frame, some frames
contain 2, 4 or six drawings. When finished, we should have about 60,000 drawings digitized and then we start the job of
collating the various drawings into their respective machines. When we are done we should be able to supply the drawings
for any Hendey product made between 1883 and 1954.

Hendeyman

sawmill7:

Your lathe is 16" x 6' Hendey Cone Head model that was completed during mid-September 1911. It was shipped with a Taper
Attachment. The only reference to the owner is WMP and I have no idea who that company was, but a quick search of the
records indicates that they bought at least one other Hendey lathe. During 1913-1918, each size of lathe was redesigned
and again in the 1918-1922 period. Because of these changes, may I suggest that anyone planning on buying parts from
another Hendey lathe consider listing the Serial Number from their lathe and the donor lathe to make certain that the parts
will interchange. There are no longer any Patterns, Castings or Repair Parts left in inventory for this lathe, but all of the
original drawings are still in the files, so parts can be made if required. NOTE: We have just completed digitizing all of the
Hendey microfilm, over 25 thousand frames. Now we have to separate out the individual drawings in each frame, some frames
contain 2, 4 or six drawings. When finished, we should have about 60,000 drawings digitized and then we start the job of
collating the various drawings into their respective machines. When we are done we should be able to supply the drawings
for any Hendey product made between 1883 and 1954.

Hendeyman
Thank you for the information
Bill

It'll be a project, but worth saving IMO. Loose gears in the chip pan may indicate some problem in the past. This wouldn't be a machine you could just oil up and put to work, you'd need to tear it down and properly clean, de-rust, and inspect everything, mqke needed repairs, and by that point you might as well repaint it. Lots of guys are happy with those prospects, but $600 might be a little high (not a dishonest price though IMO), as similar cases have gone for $400 or even free. I got my 1909 gear head 16x8 Hendey for $300, which needed similar work done. While bigger WORKING lathes are worth more, bigger project lathes are often worth less because of the added effort investment to transport, store, and erect them. Like I said though, it's worth saving. Just gotta find the right buyer. It's good that it still has the motor drive group.

FYI, not sure when they started, but hendey's this old (1910's and earlier? )didn't have the size on the front of the bed.

It'll be a project, but worth saving IMO. Loose gears in the chip pan may indicate some problem in the past. This wouldn't be a machine you could just oil up and put to work, you'd need to tear it down and properly clean, de-rust, and inspect everything, mqke needed repairs, and by that point you might as well repaint it. Lots of guys are happy with those prospects, but $600 might be a little high (not a dishonest price though IMO), as similar cases have gone for $400 or even free. The while bigger WORKING lathes are worth more, bigger project lathes are often worth less because of the added effort investment to transport, store, and erect them. Like I said though, it's worth saving. Just gotta find the right buyer.

FYI, not sure when they started, but hendey's this old (1910's and earlier? )didn't have the size on the front of the bed.
Thanks.
As the ad says or best offer. I hope someone does buy it as I hate to see it get cut up. Even if someone needs parts the owner is open to offers. Thanks for the info. Bill

Back