What's new
What's new

Fanuc G36/G37 wrong wear offset value.

........ G31 also should work. It is also working, but partly. The movement does stop. Thereafter, the control hangs.
Not true. Q setter is wired into signals MT1+, MT1-, MT2+, and MT2-. One signal for each of the 4 touch points on the Q setter. These signals are Normally Closed connection that stops the axis motion upon opening. The axis stops when G31 is used to contact the Q setter is a result of one of the MTxx signals going open. Since the program hangs with G31 is a clear indication that Skip is not being activated by touching the Q setter.

So, what could be the reason?
Exactly as Kevin stated and what I said quite a few Posts ago when I first replied to this Thread, that no Skip Signal for G31 is being raised.
These signals are Normally Closed connection that stops the axis motion upon opening.
Hello Kevin,
I basically stated that it is the switch stopping the axis motion quite a few Posts ago and made the comment that it would be a Lame arrangement if that weren't the case. However, one machine I checked this on during the following days, a Daewoo Lathe, manually actuating the Q Setter Switch had no effect in stopping Axis Motion when any Axis Motion Command was used.

When unfamiliar with the function of devices such as Q Setters and Tool Length measuring probes, I always check their operation by manually triggering the switch with the tool well clear of the device. Had one assumed that G31 would work with this particular machine, and used the Q Setter with G31, the whole switch assembly would probably been broken off.

Regards,

Bill

I basically stated that it is the switch stopping the axis motion quite a few Posts ago and made the comment that it would be a Lame arrangement if that weren't the case. However, one machine I checked this on during the following days, a Daewoo Lathe, manually actuating the Q Setter Switch had no effect in stopping Axis Motion when any Axis Motion Command was used.......
I felt I should respond to Sinha to help him understand that there is a difference in signals between the typical Q setter install and a typical probe or other tool setting device. If on thinks about it a moment it is easy to see why Skip is not well suited for a device like a Q setter. The use of 4 inputs (MITxx), one for each axis and direction, makes it easy for software to determine the correct offset depending on which switch (input) of the setter is activated.

For the Daewoo lathe that does not stop when the Q setter is activated, is that in manual or auto operation? Since MITxx inputs are processed by the PMC, a builder can determine much of how they want the measure function to behave. Daewoo have a poor record in my experience with quality of their ladder logic. A fundamental error in their ladder logic could have dire results in how their implementation of a Q setter behaves.

G31 could be used for a Q setter in auto mode. It would require the machine builder to create some more complex ladder logic and a macro to implement. The main issue is that G31(Skip) being a single input has no easy way to determine with switch of the Q setter is being activated. Software and a macro would have to make some assumptions as to which switch was activated based on axis and direction commanded. The use of G36-G37 and the MITxx signals simplifies the integration.

Also, if there were need to use a probe in the turret for part checking additional switching circuitry will be needed to change the Skip signal from one device to the other.

So, there may not be a solution to the OP's problem. MTB possibly did not implement it correctly?

For the Daewoo lathe that does not stop when the Q setter is activated, is that in manual or auto operation?
Hello Kevin,
That was in Auto Mode as a test using G01 and G31 as the Axis Motion command. I believe this particular machine has an in program function for the Q Setter, but the programming Manual for it has been lost. The swing down and up is via an M Code. rather irrelevant on a system that isn't programmable. It's not equipped with either Macro A or B and therefore, incapable of doing anything with the G31 command. It would be possible to have the PMC utilize G31 without User Macro, but I've never seen this done on any control and it kind of circumvents the original use of G31 as a tool to use within a program. It would be a rather complex PMC routine to cater for all the possible scenarios of use of G31 in a program.

With the Q Setter in the measuring position, when any Manual Mode is selected, the Screen display changes to the Geometry Offset and the cursor positions to the Offset Number according to the Tool number indicated by the manual Tool selection switch. When in this configuration, actuation of any switch with any direction movement of any axis will halt the axis movement. I haven't delved into the PMC program, but it's fairly clear that Manual Mode must be ANDED in the Ladder Rung for full attention of the control and that the Q Setter hasn't been wired fail safe.

G31 is used by the machine of the OP of this Thread for Torque. Accordingly, that aspect of the Servo System would be connected to Skip Signal Input. Therefore, to use it for Tool Measurement with the Q Setter, it also would also have to be connected to the Skip Signal Input and the fact that the program halts when driving the tool onto the Q Setter Switch indicates that this is not the case. It's lucky for the OP that unlike this particular Daewoo I'm looking at; the Q Setter Switch stopped the Axis motion.

Regards,

Bill

Last edited:
In our other lathes the q-setter activates the skip signal via G6.6 in the ladder. The machine that i'm working on does not have that in the ladder. If i want to use G31 for the Q-Setter on this machine the ladder needs to be changed. I don't think i'm going that far to get this function working since G36/G37 works fine for what i'm doing. In the electrical diagram of the machine the skip input (X14.7) is only wired for spindle probe. So it is not wired to the Q setter right now. If i ever want to use G31 for this purpose we can let someone change the ladder. Thank you for your help everyone.

Gr

In our other lathes the q-setter activates the skip signal via G6.6 in the ladder. The machine that i'm working on does not have that in the ladder. If i want to use G31 for the Q-Setter on this machine the ladder needs to be changed. I don't think i'm going that far to get this function working since G36/G37 works fine for what i'm doing. In the electrical diagram of the machine the skip input (X14.7) is only wired for spindle probe. So it is not wired to the Q setter right now. If i ever want to use G31 for this purpose we can let someone change the ladder. Thank you for your help everyone.

Gr
Thank you for coming back with relevant information.

I was wondering if it is possible to use both G36/G37 and G31 with the Q-setter as well as G31 for the work probe.

Back