What's new
What's new

feed clutch adjust screws

ToolCat

Aluminum
I am having trouble turning the feed clutch adjust screws on the apron on a series 61. There is a slotted screw in the center of a spanner looking piece. Which one does the adjusting, the screw or the spanner piece? Is one the lock and the other the adjustment? Do I need to break one free in order to turn the other?

Thanks, Steve

The Series 6x and 6xx have generally the same carriage. There are minor differences between each but I believe the adjustments are similar for all. (According to my manuals, the slotted screw is on a 2013 or 2516 with a spanner collar while the 1610 doesn't have a slot and instead has a split collar.) The inner screw or stud adjusts the throw of the handle while the outer collar is sort of a locking device. The stud is screwed into a shaft with two floating geared friction drive wheels. One wheel is geared to the drive rod while the other wheel is geared to the cross slide/carriage feed. When you push the feed handle downward, it rotates a cam that pushes against the stud. Pushing the stud outward pulls the shaft with it, forcing the two drive wheels together causing them to lock, thus transferring power from the drive rod to the cross slide or carriage. By screwing the inner stud in, you tighten the handle (less throw to engage) and by screwing it out, you add play to the handle (more throw).

If you ever have a feed that is locked and won't let loose, back out the inner stud until the handle is loose. Tap (smack) the stud with a brass or lead mallet to jar the two wheels apart. The friction surfaces are slighlty coned so it is possible for grit/shavings/crud/etc. to get into the apron and cause the wheels to stick even with the handle is loosened. The only thing trying to keep the wheels apart is a stiff spring as you can only compress the wheels with the handle. In other words, you cannot pry them apart by raising the handle.

Thanks Rex. The feed isn't locked. I can turn the feed on and off, however I am trying to adjust the handle. The center screw will not move. Do I first need to turn the spanner collar before the center screw can be adjusted?

I am looking to purchase a Monarch 60 that has the same problem on the cross slide. The carriage feed works and I can see the adjustment screw and lock collar move out as the feed engages. From this post I now have an understanding of how this works. If this is a simple adjustment that is great for me for the fact that the owner didn't know it would feed it's self.
I can use it for a bargaining chip, but my concern is could this cost more than what I might talk him down?
Could the clutches be worn to the point of no return?
Could a shim be placed behind anything to take up slack?

I don't really want to adjust on his machine for two reasons. Mostly because it doesn't belong to me and the other he might fall in love with it all over again.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Travis

It's an easy adjustment, just stick a screwdriver in the slot and turn the nut clockwise a little until the handle gets real tight at approx 45*. Just don't do this in front of the seller. You'll know if this works, if you can't turn the handwheel. Hopefully the clutch isn't worn out.
Harry

Okay thanks for the reply. I'm a little more confused now about weather the shaft is going to do the tightening or the nut. I am gonna scetch up a little drawing of what I remember it looking like (forgot the camera). I do understand what you are saying about seeing if it will take up all the slack, as a quick test.

Thanks don't worry about replying just yet, a diagram will greatly help me understand.

Thanks Travis

I think that the only thing that would achieve tightening the clutch would be to turn the collar. If that is the case then I think the machine has never been adjusted because there is no marks on the area that you would use the screw driver. That or it is very easy to adjust there for no marks. The machine has very little wear so the more I think about it I believe the nut backed off or just slipped until they quit using that feature. The Machine was used in a government shop in Long Beach before it came to AZ.

I haven't looked for info off of the serial number. 38161, date 2-1954

Assmcrssfdhsng1.jpg

Thanks Travis

Back