What's new
What's new

G&E 20-24" shaper new to me

I have this shaper vise, I don’t know what make its off of and it’s very heavy to ship

Attachments

• C020C0DE-986C-4FFD-AD04-D5EB409EDC69.jpeg
    C020C0DE-986C-4FFD-AD04-D5EB409EDC69.jpeg
    854 KB · Views: 19
  • 3A48906B-35ED-4C58-8A79-D06C676AE653.jpeg
    3A48906B-35ED-4C58-8A79-D06C676AE653.jpeg
    815.1 KB · Views: 21
  • 14EF3CF6-4158-4BBA-B976-50B1D2EAF6AA.jpeg
    14EF3CF6-4158-4BBA-B976-50B1D2EAF6AA.jpeg
    787.4 KB · Views: 20
  • 9C6223BC-779B-44E1-9E2C-EAB26C80C59F.jpeg
    9C6223BC-779B-44E1-9E2C-EAB26C80C59F.jpeg
    838.8 KB · Views: 21
Looks good! I wish the inside of mine was that clean when I got it....it was beyond nasty. :vomit:

I have the vise off mine right now...continuing on the cleaning process. If you figure out what yours is missing I can probably pull the table and get measurements/dimensions, etc...assuming it's complete since I haven't loosened those bolts.
As soon as I get some time I will pull the tilt table and take a look and get back to you with any questions. I did pull one of the gibs to take a look at the side ways of the ram. Not to back but dirty, a little stained and of course many layers of old paint. I will pull the other gib off and then lift the ram so I can clean everything up and do any scraping that may be needed.

As soon as I get some time I will pull the tilt table and take a look and get back to you with any questions. I did pull one of the gibs to take a look at the side ways of the ram. Not to back but dirty, a little stained and of course many layers of old paint. I will pull the other gib off and then lift the ram so I can clean everything up and do any scraping that may be needed.
The ram lift is limited by being attached to link and vertical arm

The ram lift is limited by being attached to link and vertical arm
Johnoder,

I was looking at parts diagram and it looks like it is entirely driven by the vertical arm attached to a block which in turn is clamped to the actual ram via a stud and clamp arrangement. I have the open top version per the parts manual. I was planning removing the other gib, unclamping the ram and then lifting off. Am I missing something with this plan? I have attached a picture of the parts diagram I am referencing.

Thanks for all your help.

--sean

Attachments

• TM_9-3418_Shaper_pdf.png
    TM_9-3418_Shaper_pdf.png
    198.9 KB · Views: 6
Johnoder,

I was looking at parts diagram and it looks like it is entirely driven by the vertical arm attached to a block which in turn is clamped to the actual ram via a stud and clamp arrangement. I have the open top version per the parts manual. I was planning removing the other gib, unclamping the ram and then lifting off. Am I missing something with this plan? I have attached a picture of the parts diagram I am referencing.

--sean
Actually upon closer inspection of the diagram it looks like the worm gear that controls the manual movement of the ram goes through the block which the clamp and stud are part of and the gear shaft is attached to the ram itself. So it looks like I would have to somehow remove the upper pivot pin, item 22 in the diagram, from the link so the entire assembly could be lifted. Anyone done anything like this before?

--sean

Johnoder,

--sean

SeanShanny​

Have you been able to make any more progress on the G&E? Please post some photos when you can.
Unfortunately my time has been spent working on my American Pacemaker rebuild, winter farm equipment maintenance, and getting ready for sugaring season. I also need to figure out how to pull the ram off the shaper so I can clean and re-scrape ways.

Back