What's new
What's new

Gear Tooth Form Tool

tdubi708

Plastic
Hey Guys,

I've been tasked with machining some sprockets/ gears, we've made them before but with some slight changes. I want to have a form tool made to cut the profile.

So my question is, how do I find the profile ?
HTD 5mm
40 teeth
2.506 pitch dia

Is this something I can do or am I losing it?

Please confirm for yourself everything written below.

I think HTD is now ensconsed in ISO 13050.

Preview of the Standard here:

There might be enough info. there to determine if it is the correct document.

The preview stops at page 9 and HTD starts on page 15 so you have to pony up the cash to buy the full Standard.

Edit: I later found a full copy of the 2014 edition of the Standard at pdfcoffee.

Last edited:
Call Ash Gear- they MIGHT be able to offer something, but be aware that the HTD tooth form is a generated profile that changes slightly for every different # of teeth. That why most sprockets are either cut on a gear hobber or shaper.

There is a company called Hexagon Software in Germany who seem to have stuff that might give you an accurate/correct dxf of the 40t pulley according to the Standard. From that you could extract the tooth profile to make the form tool. As above, it would be a one trick pony, only good for HTD5 and 40 teeth.

There is a company called Hexagon Software in Germany who seem to have stuff that might give you an accurate/correct dxf of the 40t pulley according to the Standard. From that you could extract the tooth profile to make the form tool. As above, it would be a one trick pony, only good for HTD5 and 40 teeth.
All I need it for!

Back