What's new
What's new

Graziano SAG 12S cross slide warn out...

noamw

Aluminum
Hi,

Its some time sense I wrote anything :-) ... I have reconditioned our 1980 Graziano SAG 12S and
in general it works nice.

There is something that bothers me and finally I found the cause... the cross slide lead screw is warn at
the far end and has about 0.15 play. This is annoying and effects the surface finish..

After checking I see that if I drag the half nut close to me there is almost ZERO play. This tells me that
the half nut is OK and only the tread is warn out. I was planing to purchase a trapezoid left hand thread rod
and match it with the rest of the cross slide shaft...

The problem is that a TR20 with 5mm pitch is none standard .. Any ideas were to get it ?

Secondly anyone knows if the original thread is ACME 29 degrees or ISO 30 degrees ?

Thanks,
Noam.

Hi Peter,

Thanks but the problem is that standard TR20 is 4mm pitch while I need 5mm..

I checked with several sellers and all gave the same answer. I contacted a German
company but I think that there quote will be too high.

I also contacted my contact in China, he is checking and maybe he will order it from
someone...

At worse case I will prepare it myself :)

Thanks,
Noam.

Peter do you know if the original thread is 29 or 30 degrees. I presume it is 30 as it was made in Italy
but as the main lead screw is 4 TPI I wonder if the cross slide and other TR threads are not ACME 29
degrees ?

If I was in your shoes I'd machine the shaft complete without threads and take it down to the local thread grinder and get it ground. They do 'one offs' and are quite inexpensive, maybe $250-300.

In your shoes I'd look for a local thread grinder.

If I was in your shoes I'd machine the shaft complete without threads and take it down to the local thread grinder and get it ground. They do 'one offs' and are quite inexpensive, maybe $250-300.

In your shoes I'd look for a local thread grinder.

Dear, maybe in US but in Israel it will be much more expensive. I am trying to get quotes and than see what to do...

Back