What's new
What's new

Cross slide screw

MainelyIan

Plastic
So I have been working on disassembly of a lathe I purchased a few months ago. I have not used it other than to turn a few bits of metal into smaller bits of metal. I am new to lathes and machining as a whole other than a Seig X2 mini mill that I have converted to CNC using 3d printed parts and am slowly machining the parts in aluminum to replace the 3d printed parts.
While trying to take apart the cross slide screw I was unable to remove the bushing that screws into the cross slide. I put the small nut back on (to protect the threads). And tapped with a hammer. The nut was not on far enough and I damaged the threads on the screw and in the nut.
So my question is. What is the best way to fix this,

1 weld on additional material and machine down and rethread.
2 Cut off threaded part, drill and tap and add a thread (bolt)
3 Cut off threaded part, drill a hole add a peice of metal and thread the new peice.

As I said above very new to machining (especially on a lathe). Any advice would be appreciated. The last option was to get a new screw but I am unable to find one (small dial no taper attachment).

Attachments

• 20240407_153442.jpg
    20240407_153442.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 37
  • 20240407_153437.jpg
    20240407_153437.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 37
I would cut the screw off the end, drill and tap a hole with the same threads as original.
Screw a set screw in until it bottoms out. Trim the inside end until the stickout is same as original.
Goop up the thread with the highest strength Loctite and run the set screw in tight. Let loctite cure.
Go back to work.

I fixed one:
Cut off the threaded part
Drill and tap for 8-32
Make a custom washer headed screw from an oval head socket head cap screw.

8-32 is probably the largest you can go and not affect the round dowel key. You can do all the work in the lathe by locking the cross slide with the gib and using the compound for adjustment. You will want to make sure the crossfeed screw is running true before drilling and threading. I recommend a collet setup or four jaw chuck with protection so you don’t mare the screw. This is the compound on a heavy 10 but it’s the same idea.

IMG_8403.jpeg
IMG_8404.jpeg
IMG_8405.jpeg

Hope this helps

Ben

I fixed one:
Cut off the threaded part
Drill and tap for 8-32
Make a custom washer headed screw from an oval head socket head cap screw.

8-32 is probably the largest you can go and not affect the round dowel key. You can do all the work in the lathe by locking the cross slide with the gib and using the compound for adjustment. You will want to make sure the crossfeed screw is running true before drilling and threading. I recommend a collet setup or four jaw chuck with protection so you don’t mare the screw. This is the compound on a heavy 10 but it’s the same idea.

View attachment 435601
View attachment 435602
View attachment 435603

Hope this helps

Ben
Excellent repair Ben, and a good way to avoid having to ream the threads for the dutchman pin.

I cant see in the pic , how bad did ya bugger the threads ? Can ya get in there with a triangle jewelers file & try to tune it up some ?
animal

Back