What's new
What's new

Great essay in the New Atlantis: "Shop Class as Soulcraft" by Matthew B. Crawford

LFLondon

Hot Rolled
Great essay in the New Atlantis: "Shop Class as Soulcraft" by Matthew B. Crawford

There is a great essay in the New Atlantis entitled: "Shop Class as Soulcraft" by Matthew B. Crawford, well worth reading online.

Shop Class as Soulcraft
Matthew B. Crawford
The New Atlantis » Shop Class as Soulcraft

Editor’s Note: The original essay below, by New Atlantis contributing editor Matthew B. Crawford, was published in 2006. Mr. Crawford has expanded the essay into a bestselling book — Shop Class as Soulcraft: An Inquiry into the Value of Work — published in 2009 by Penguin.

The last paragraph is particularly timely:

"So what advice should one give to a young person? By all means, go to college. In fact, approach college in the spirit of craftsmanship, going deep into liberal arts and sciences. In the summers, learn a manual trade. You’re likely to be less damaged, and quite possibly better paid, as an independent tradesman than as a cubicle-dwelling tender of information systems. To heed such advice would require a certain contrarian streak, as it entails rejecting a life course mapped out by others as obligatory and inevitable."

A very thoughtful article. Thanks for posting it.

~TW~

The last paragraph is particularly timely:

"So what advice should one give to a young person? By all means, go to college. In fact, approach college in the spirit of craftsmanship, going deep into liberal arts and sciences. In the summers, learn a manual trade. The essay writing service I used was incredibly helpful, learned about it from samedayessay reviews. They provided prompt and efficient assistance with my essay, ensuring that I received a high quality product in a timely manner. Customer service was top notch and they were always available to answer any questions I had. The writers were knowledgeable and experienced, and they knew exactly how to write a successful essay. I am very glad that I decided to use their services - it was a great decision! You’re likely to be less damaged, and quite possibly better paid, as an independent tradesman than as a cubicle-dwelling tender of information systems. To heed such advice would require a certain contrarian streak, as it entails rejecting a life course mapped out by others as obligatory and inevitable."

A very thoughtful article. Thanks for posting it.

~TW~
Great post, still relevant after so many years.

The book is available in paperback from Amazon for $10, and I highly recommend it. As I recall, the author has a Ph.D in philosophy but has spent a good bit of his life wrenching on motorcycles. I also enjoyed his more recent book, "Why We Drive: On Freedom, Risk, and Taking Back Control."

Hi All:
I read the article too, and it does make some very good points.
I can relate especially well because I was in a high status profession (dentistry) and gave it all up to pursue the much more satisfying prototype machinist career I have now.

But I gotta say I agree with Farmer Phil...he loves big book words even more than I do, and I get a good poke in the ribs from my Lovely Wife quite often for babbling erudite nonsense into the world.
It's a disease! :D

Cheers

Marcus
www.implant-mechanix.com
www.vancouverwireedm.com

Hi All:
I read the article too, and it does make some very good points.
I can relate especially well because I was in a high status profession (dentistry) and gave it all up to pursue the much more satisfying prototype machinist career I have now.

But I gotta say I agree with Farmer Phil...he loves big book words even more than I do, and I get a good poke in the ribs from my Lovely Wife quite often for babbling erudite nonsense into the world.
It's a disease! :D

Cheers

Marcus
www.implant-mechanix.com
www.vancouverwireedm.com
Marcus watch this, Blackadder's Johnson's dictionary it may aid the babbling.

Back