What's new
What's new

haas vf1 hangs in data collection mode.

Alexow

Plastic
Hello! I recently purchased a 1996 Haas VF1. The machine is in excellent condition, but there is a problem. I want to transfer data to the machine via rs232. To do this, you need to go to the data collection mode: list of programs -> select the position "ALL" -> press the "recv rs232" button and the machine freezes completely. It no longer responds to anything. Just turn the power off and on again to get the machine working again. What could be the problem?

Last edited:
The cable is definitely working. I checked it with the "loopback" program. Made a jumper on 2 and 3 contacts. The program displayed correct data transfer. My console sometimes, once every 15-20 attempts, goes into data acquisition mode. Then I can also enter the DNC mode. But no matter what settings I set, the data is not transferred.
The floppy drive doesn't seem to be working either. But I want to buy a USB floppy disk drive emulator.

The cable is definitely working. I checked it with the "loopback" program. Made a jumper on 2 and 3 contacts. The program displayed correct data transfer. My console sometimes, once every 15-20 attempts, goes into data acquisition mode. Then I can also enter the DNC mode. But no matter what settings I set, the data is not transferred.
The floppy drive doesn't seem to be working either. But I want to buy a USB floppy disk drive emulator.
That makes zero sense. Yea those floppy drives was flaky even when new I would be surprised if it did work to be honest. Sorry I could not be more help. If I think of anything you have not tried i'll hit this thread back.

Have you checked the internal cabling from the RS232 port to the computer board?
The other possibility is the keyboard.

Have you checked the internal cabling from the RS232 port to the computer board?
The other possibility is the keyboard.
there are two db25 ports on the electrical cabinet. I swapped the cables on these ports. Because I thought that maybe the port itself is faulty. It did nothing. I haven't checked the cables themselves yet.
what about the keyboard?

One possibility is a glitch in the Haas machine's software. This is supported by the fact that a power cycle resets the machine and allows you to continue working.
Another possibility is a mismatch between the dataenrichment communication protocol your computer is using and what the Haas machine expects. Make sure you're using the correct baud rate and other settings for RS232 communication with the Haas controller.

Last edited:
The first thing I would do with serial cable problems is grab one of those little cable testers. They're like the ones for ethernet except they do serial cables too. Under $20 usually.

The problem is that the "R" in RS stands for "recommended". A lot of places don't take recommendations very well. There's all different ways of connecting the damn things and no documentation on it 90% of the time. So the tester is a big help. I like a full set of wires, like a null modem cable, instead of the four-wire setup a lot of people use.

Then your next mystery is settings. Haas should be able to help you here. If the settings are wrong you can get a case where one end just sits and waits forever for the other, but never hears it since the speed, data bits, stop bits, parity, whatever are wrong.

Serial can be a bitch to get running but it works okay after you do.

Back