What's new
What's new

Harvi endmill feed and speeds

PegroProX440

Hot Rolled
I got a job Im going to start tomorrow and have a few new to me tools I could use some pointers with.

50 Pieces about 2x2x1. 304ss. Fairly easy parts. I have never used the kennametal harvi end mills so I bought a few. .5 with 1 inch length of cut, 6 flute with a .03 radius. I looked on their website and the feeds I came up with seemed ridiculously slow. Like 260 sfm and .0025 per tooth. Dynamic tool path. What are you guys running them at? I have hydraulic or shrink fit holders.

Also, I've never formed tapped so I bought a few sizes to try. Any tips on sfm? coolant or should I pre oil the holes? Emuge taps by the way. I only bought 1 for each size so I can't experiment, I need to get it right from the start.

I have form tapped quite a bit of 316 SS and I believe it was around 20-25 sfm with OSG TiCN coated taps.

They did run for thousands of parts on screw machines. I use cutting oil. I would use something like tapmagic or similar.

Make sure the holes arent workhardened before tapping.

Never run the Harvi endmills, usually run at 550 sfm and 8% step over, feed what sounds good. 60ipm is usually where I start.

Back