What's new
What's new

Help finding source for small piston u-cup seal

minimag03

Plastic
While trying to learn more about u-cups I found a thread here where members here able to help someone. I'm hoping someone will at least be able to point me in the right direction.

I'm trying to find a source to buy a tiny u-cup seal. The seal is part of a small piston that operates with compress air around 50-100psi

ID= .1"
OD= .3"
height= ~.062"

It's black, I'm guessing it made from urethane or buna

One other odd thing about this seal is it was accompanied by a white disk on its sealing face. It appears to be plastic. In my research I learned about loaded u-cups. Could this be serving a similar purpose? Another thought was this piece was used because the seal or piston pieces were out of their initial specification and the plastic piece as required to make the u-cup properly function?

Any advice or input is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

I've bought larger ones from McMaster. Maybe they have smaller ones too.
Unfortunately they do not :( . I believe their smallest diameter is .125". Although I am unable to find certain products on there from time to time :confused: It's a tad too large for what I need, unless I'm measuring it incorrectly. .125" (1/8") seem to be the most common 'small' u-cup size available. I am worried the u-cups are proprietary and the manufacturer of the piston is now out of business.

Edit: I was hoping I misunderstood how to properly measure u-rings but it appears not. The manufacturer was known for using odd sized seals from time to time, probably to ensure users would be forced to buy their rebuild kits. But I'll continue searching for a source of tiny u-rings and hope someone here knows a source, even if i have to order from over seas in metric.

Last edited:

Not the easiest site to navigate. I usually call my local-ish distributor and tell them the ID, OD, and height of what I want.

The white disc is a spacer and it is supposed to be on the bottom of the seal, not the sealing side.

Unless you have very high pressure and the groove isn't too deep, a quad ring might be a substitute. If the groove is to wide, add a spacer. They work on air cylinders.

Dave

Back