What's new
What's new

Help, I broke a part on my SB 10L

onesnorkeler

Plastic
Just got my first metal lathe, SB10L. Someone had used it for turning wood (I have a wood lathe, I wouldn't turn metal with it).
Anyway, I am tearing it down to do a complete maintenance procedure per the book (all new felt, clean up, proper oils, etc.).

When taking the star wheel off the apron, I broke the #11 clutch screw (Page 19-20 South Bend Lathe SBCE3458 Parts Manual).

Does anyone know where I can get a replacement, use a different setup, options, etc? I am open, but would like to keep it original if possible, it still has most of the flaking on the ways from 1946

Thank you in advance,

Onesnorkeler

That screw is reverse thread. Spin the opposite way to get it out. Now that it is busted off, you can prolly spin it right out out if you turn it the direction you would normally turn to tighten.

Don't panic about the reverse/left hand thread screw, people have and sell them. I'd try Ted first for all SB parts, email to [email protected] . And gift him payment on paypal.

Pretty sure this is will work, might confirm specs, or search a little more:

I really appreciate the quick reply, however that is not the part I broke. I broke the 3/8" bolt that is threaded which the star screws onto. It is the part that the screw you sent, screws into. The bolt that goes through the clutch.
Onesnorkeler

Well thats a little trickier. I'd still try Ted.

On ebay you might have to buy the entire clutch assembly. Doing a quick search I didn't happen to come across it specifically, but it may be there if you pour over all the pages of search results.

Not sure if the bolt diameter is the same, or same length but here's one for a 13". And the seller has a ton of 10" stuff. Might message him to ask:

Back