What's new
What's new

Help with parameters and/or operations of the ATC on a leadwell MCV-OP with mitsubishi control

lxgron

Plastic
Hi, I recently obtained a leadwell MCV-OP form 1993 with a mitsubishi meldas control that had a dead battery. I have replaced the battery, reset the control and re-entered the lost parameters from a hard copy the machine now can home, jog, and operate the spindle. But when I run a tool change using a M6 command in the mdi interface it operates correctly until it starts rotating the carousel and then it doesn't stop rotating the carousel. The machine came with fanuc operating manual I don't have the one for the mitsubishi control so I'm not super clear on the procedure to load and set up a tool which could be my problem. Also when I took the covers off the atc I couldn't locate any encoder or other method for the machine to tell what pocket is facing the spindle is this some thing that needs to be set after a reset? Any advice or help from people who have operated these machines before would be greatly appreciated.

I have no experience with a mitsubishi control but lots of experience with leadwell and their 0 machine (ours had fanuc 0m)

So the machine counts pulses from the geneva wheel mechanism that turns the carousel. The thing is, since you lost parameters, you also lost counters and timers.

The machine doesn't know how many tools it has, nor whats in the spindle, nor which pocket is facing the spindle.

Wherever the counters and keep relays are in your machine, you should see a number that increases and decreases when the turret indexes. on a 0m fanuc machine, counters for the tool changer would be around D440. I would dig to tell you specifically which counters are for what, but i don't think that would exactly help you.

Campat (former? leadwell distributor down in Texas) could probably get you a copy of the manual, although they supposedly don't distribute for leadwell anymore from what I heard. But they are often nice and migght be able to get you a copy. Just don't expect to be able to buy parts from em anymore.

Thanks for the reply that's kind of how I figured the ATC would work after not finding any form of encoder now I just need figure out how to set it.

Try this procedure. we used to have a leadwell mcv0 with mitsubishi control before I started working here. This was a file sent by campat back in 2007 so I think it might be for a mcv0?

1698258187778.png

…… The thing is, since you lost parameters, you also lost counters and timers.
…..Wherever the counters and keep relays are in your machine, you should see a number that increases and decreases when the turret indexes. on a 0m fanuc machine, counters for the tool changer would be around D440. I would dig to tell you specifically which counters are for what, but i don't think that would exactly help you……..
There are some different models of older Mitsu controls but several followed these locations in Setup Parameters for the Fanuc equivalent of timers, counters, data, and keep relays.

6000-6103 Timer values
6200-6223 Counters
6301-6348 Data
6401-6496 Keep Relay (Mitsu calls these Bit Select)

The machine tool builder determines everything about how these addresses are used so to get proper values set will require documentation from Leadwell.

Looks like that procedure is for thw M0 control I have an M3 it doesn't line up with the screens I have and after finding an address 72 in the bit select menu messing with it did result in any different behavior.

Last ditch effort to help. I did some more digging, found a couple documents confirming our mcv0 with mitsubishi control was an M3, and found a parameter backup.

Not sure if the parameter backup includes timers and keepers or not, perhaps Kevin has an idea when looking at the attached text file.

The thing that stood out to me was that I know a mcv0 has 16 tools, and the only instances of "16" I found were in this excerpt:

S21301(M-PARA13. 1/2)
N1P1
N2P16
N3P16

N4P1
N5P4
N6P1
N7P1
N8P1
N9P400
N10P150

It may be a coincidence, however, and those parameters might not be related to what you actually need. But feel free to compare with what you have, perhaps it may help? If I am on the right track, perhaps one of those numbers is the spindle tool, one is the number of tools, and another is the pocket number facing the spindle. Again, I am NOT sure, but is worth a look. Good luck.

Attachments

• 163MELDAS MCV-02.txt
    27 KB · Views: 11
Thanks for all your help. I'll figure out how to export my parameters and compare them to see what differences I can find.

Thanks for all the help you guys provided with solving this problem Eric at Campat got back to me and sent me a procedure that the ATC working.

Attachments

• ATC # SETTING.pdf
    108.4 KB · Views: 14
I have Kryle VMC 500B and same problem. I have wrong manual because in manual D-parameters starts from D400 and in machine D-parameters are D300-D399. Can you help with this problem? :D
I have no experience with a mitsubishi control but lots of experience with leadwell and their 0 machine (ours had fanuc 0m)

So the machine counts pulses from the geneva wheel mechanism that turns the carousel. The thing is, since you lost parameters, you also lost counters and timers.

The machine doesn't know how many tools it has, nor whats in the spindle, nor which pocket is facing the spindle.

Wherever the counters and keep relays are in your machine, you should see a number that increases and decreases when the turret indexes. on a 0m fanuc machine, counters for the tool changer would be around D440. I would dig to tell you specifically which counters are for what, but i don't think that would exactly help you.

Campat (former? leadwell distributor down in Texas) could probably get you a copy of the manual, although they supposedly don't distribute for leadwell anymore from what I heard. But they are often nice and migght be able to get you a copy. Just don't expect to be able to buy parts from em anymore.

Back