What's new
What's new

I made a Frankenlathe

dannyrocci

Cast Iron
Well, I think it is officially a frankenlathe now. I came across a overhead arm drive for a heavy 9 and couldn't resist adapting it to my Heavy 10. I have always loved the way they look and it make the lathe foot print a little bit smaller which I think is a bonus. It fit pretty much perfect with out any adjustments the only thing that I had to do was raise the counter shaft bearing up about 3/4". I was also able to use my old 3 step pulley and large 2 step pulley off the old horizontal counter shaft that came with the lathe. Over all I am really happy with how it turned out, now all I need to do is take it off and paint it so it matches the lathe.

Danny

Click to Enlarge:

No, she was no where near that condition when I got her. It had sat for 15yrs unused in a moist garage in the northwest. The bed was in pretty good shape but the cross slide and compound won't move.
Here is a picture of what she look liked when I got her. Kind of an ugly duckling. :)

Click to enlarge pictures

Here she is after I finished the restoration but before I add the overhead drive.

I have add quite a few things to the original lathe must of the major component are original except for the spindle.
Added large spindle 2 1/4x8 thread
Quick Change Gear box
Large Dials
Taper attachment (that is off right now being painted)

I think I am done adding things to it not sure what else there is to add at this point.

Here is the link to my restoration thread if you care to see the whole process.
http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/south-bend-lathes/restoring-my-bench-model-heavy-10s-202324/

Danny

Danger Will Robinson Danger.

Not a biggie, I have a 9" wide bed with a similar over head silent chain drive, It is also a short bed lathe.
With that drive up so high they are top heavy to the LEFT, so if you ever move it be careful about it tipping over.

Ed S

PS who need guards?

Attachments

• 380-Y 1930.JPG
    380-Y 1930.JPG
    60.9 KB · Views: 283
  • 380-Y 9 inch wide bed  1930.JPG
    380-Y 9 inch wide bed 1930.JPG
    65.8 KB · Views: 294
I once went to look at a 15" gap bed with one of those drive units on it.It had a long bed and lots of tooling,but had been used in a brass foundry,so the bed was shot.Always wondered if someone was able to rescue it.

Speaking of guards Ed, could you get me a picture of the hing bracket for the gear cover door? Now that I have the overhead drive on, I no longer have space on the bed for hing bracket to attach. I remember seeing a picture of one somewhere and I thought it attached to the overhead arm, either way mine will have to attach there. I need to make one but want it to look as close to south bend factory as possible. As far as moving I suspected that it might be a little top heavy since that drive seems to weigh a thousand pounds and that was before I stuck the motor up there. :)

Danny

Speaking of guards Ed, could you get me a picture of the hing bracket for the gear cover door? Now that I have the overhead drive on, I no longer have space on the bed for hing bracket to attach.

Danny,
When I started reading this string I wondered how you were going to address that! Single tumbler gear guards like on Ed's lathe are screwed on and don't have a hinge. The plain change version did have a hinged cover with a special hinge bracket for the overhead drive, so you will likely need to fab one up. Dennis Turk might be able to supply you with a picture, IIRC he has a plain change with an overhead drive.
BakoRoy

Yea, I was aware that I would have to fab something up, just want to look at what they did for the 9 so that I could make something that looked like it belong on the lathe. Thanks for the tip on Dennis Turk I might have to send him a PM and maybe even take a trip out to his shop. It's about an hour from me but never had a reason to make the trip but that might be worth it.

Danny

Hi Danny,

I am in Calif for a month visiting my son and some guy up in Portland, so I cant take pics now but I will post what I have on file.

The green door is mine, the others are pics of lathes from Dennis... for ideas.

Ed S

Attachments

• 1927+SB+9+Jr.+end+door+in+final+paint..jpg
    1927+SB+9+Jr.+end+door+in+final+paint..jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 292
  • bench shelf.jpg
    bench shelf.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 298
  • 501286790_0503eaa6a7.jpg
    501286790_0503eaa6a7.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 261
  • DSC_0781 copy.jpg
    DSC_0781 copy.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 231
Thanks for the tip on Dennis Turk I might have to send him a PM and maybe even take a trip out to his shop. It's about an hour from me but never had a reason to make the trip but that might be worth it.

Danny

Danny I be at Turks works in about 2 weeks.

Ed S

Where did you guys get the bracket that the motor is mounted on. I have to reduce the footprint on my 9" and I really need on

kd0afk, The mount is off a Heavy 9 which is closer to a Heavy 10 then it is a 9 inch workshop. I could be wrong but I don't believe that they every made and overhead arm drive for the 9" workshop lathe.

As far as where I got it? That was really just dumb luck, there was a guy on ebay selling one and it didn't sell. After the auction I contacted him about and arranged to buy it from him. He only lived a couple hours away so I went and picked it up from him. That is the only overhead drive I've ever seen for sale and I've looked for the last couple years.

Thanks for the kind words Sk8Ter not sure were you can get one but I'm not selling mine. :)

Danny

Could you provide some measurements? I would like to fabricate one out of angle iron. Or maybe some really good pictures focusing on the bracket? Eventually I am going to start casting parts and I would like to make one for myself and maybe for others. It is too good an accessory not to have. Even if you aren't pressed for space it really makes the lathe awesome looking.

Could you provide some measurements? I would like to fabricate one out of angle iron. Or maybe some really good pictures focusing on the bracket? Eventually I am going to start casting parts and I would like to make one for myself and maybe for others. It is too good an accessory not to have. Even if you aren't pressed for space it really makes the lathe awesome looking.

I can post some pics and measurement for the over head arm bracket and shelf. Mine is apart for painting. I will be back home after 9/11. Post again after that time to remind me or I will forget.

ED S

Back