What's new
What's new

Input on cheap stick power supply please.

A link for more on optical pyrometry.

Optical Pyrometers How They Work and Who Still Makes Them

A lot of articles talk about a black body. Radiation from a black body is at emissivity of 1 so correction is not needed. A black body can be a cavity as in a closed furnace at uniform temperature. If, for instance, the crucible is covered but with a peep hole, then the radiation is close to being from a black body.

Tom

A link for more on optical pyrometry.

Optical Pyrometers How They Work and Who Still Makes Them

A lot of articles talk about a black body. Radiation from a black body is at emissivity of 1 so correction is not needed. A black body can be a cavity as in a closed furnace at uniform temperature. If, for instance, the crucible is covered but with a peep hole, then the radiation is close to being from a black body.

Tom
That is correct.
Be sure the arc is off when reading, and the atmosphere will have some effect. IIRC

The tm-300 is a good supply, I have the tm-500.

However, if you search for the TIG version (forgot the designation), you get
a remote control capability, using IIRC a magnetic amplifier
circuit.

So you could control the amperage from a PLC or computer
if wanted.

The tm-300/500 runs a simple screw pulling a core up/down
for amperage control.

The tm-300 is a good supply, I have the tm-500.

However, if you search for the TIG version (forgot the designation), you get
a remote control capability, using IIRC a magnetic amplifier
circuit.

So you could control the amperage from a PLC or computer
if wanted.

The tm-300/500 runs a simple screw pulling a core up/down
for amperage control.

You must be an old fart. No one talks about mag amps anymore but old people.

Tom

I'm reminded of a recent tour of the local Nucor mill, watching the melt furnace control board as the 3 giant water cooled graphite electrodes lower slowly into the scrap charge, and stop when they're white hot and the board shows they're pulling a steady 50 megawatts from the grid. I think there's actually a feedback loop that controls the depth of the electrodes to maintain a particular current draw. 3 electrodes, 3 phase, so there's a strong rotary field, but with luck that's just a question of efficiency.

I'm reminded of a recent tour of the local Nucor mill, watching the melt furnace control board as the 3 giant water cooled graphite electrodes lower slowly into the scrap charge, and stop when they're white hot and the board shows they're pulling a steady 50 megawatts from the grid. I think there's actually a feedback loop that controls the depth of the electrodes to maintain a particular current draw. 3 electrodes, 3 phase, so there's a strong rotary field, but with luck that's just a question of efficiency.
My cousin used to run the arc furnace at Wampum, PA.

Said he could see the lights of the town dip as he started....

I wonder if he rang up New Castle power plant and asked for permission ?

FWIW a local factory had their own power plant (3, 8 meg turbines)
and my friend would ring them up before starting the large scrap shredder.
He said they would start banking coal, and call him back in about 1/2 hour
and give the O.K.

The rotary field is actually a good thing, it stirs the matte.

There’s a reason smelting is located near power plants these days...and coal fields in the past.

Back