What's new
What's new

K&T 2HL, saddle oil passages and pipe cleaners

Great success was had all around! So, after dismantling and cleaning as well as I could, I went about figuring out a plan to reinstall wicks the full lengths of all passages. The previous 'maintainer' had removed all horizontal runs of wicks, and simply put in vertical lengths of modern poly/nylon pipe cleaners (that don't wick for sh*t).

I had difficulties getting pull strings through many of the passages with the shop-vac as there were sometimes 5-6 holes in each passage allowing blow-by (suck-by?). So, I had already adopted Mule's drill and tap 1/2-13 for set screw plugs in the 4 main drilled passages and I was still getting too much leakage even with the screws plugging the holes, so I also drilled and tapped the top way holes (in the round recesses on the top ways of the saddle where a round felt wiper ends up) for 5/16-18 - the passages were 1/4", so the enlarging isn't significant and it allowed me to temporarily plug each of those holes while I used the shop-vac to suck pull strings through to each location.

Once I had pull strings, I pulled 3/16" felt the length of horizontal passages D-J, E-K, C (the end of the C run got a loop pulled up into L to hit the lead attachment gear (which I **DO** have just don't have a lead attachment!) and the full length of O. Then I pulled a doubled up 1/8" wick down all of the main vertical passages (F, G, H, I) to intersect the horizontal passages, making sure I pulled enough down to overlap the 3/16" felts by an inch or two. Small pieces of 3/16" were used to hit spots M and N (laying into the oil grooves in the journals). A & B got some 3/16" cord right before putting the saddle back on the mill.

Felt rounds were punched for all 8 areas, and then I filled the reservoir and waited ~5 days to see oil at all wick points. I didn't want to just oil everything on the bench and assume it would wick everywhere; I wanted to KNOW it was going where it needed to be.

She's back up and running! Good opportunity to check and clean everything, and verify the table nut looks good and see that the ways on table and saddle are almost in factory condition -- flaking is beautiful everywhere but the outer-most corners of the front of the saddle where there's some wearing off of the flaking (can still see it, but you can tell it's got more wear in those small areas).

Next will be to mill off the buttons on the X feed lever (those two buttons are DESTROYED on my mill). Plan is to mill them off, drill and ream some holes in the yoke centered on those buttons and make two new buttons with tubs that'll press into the yoke.

Then I'll need to bug Greg to see if he's got drawings of his table stop blocks he can share. Those are AWOL on my mill.

Back