What's new
What's new

knurling a hex??

gwilson,
Cut away the knurls from round stock, making the surface hex.
It appears (but very well may not be) that the .200" contact area would be for raising the OD in that area (for bearing, gear, or ???). Except for the cost of machining the above operation, why keep it a knurled hex in that area?

Tom

Depending on length of stock and how many you need:How about knurling round stock, using mill or shaper to do the flats, and finally parting off for correct lengths?
Unless I'm missing something here::: Won't that get rid of the KNURL? :confused:

How many parts do you have to make for this Customer?

and what size hex and length of hex and OAL of part??
Got a pic to post? <---- customer may not like this but he don't haff-ta know :D :D

If feasible, depending on order quantity, clamp the hex stock down on the ends, on a BP or CNC Machining Center, use a Bump Knurling tool, Knurl the whole length of bar(CAREFUL NOT TO HIT CLAMPS), repeat 5 more times, do as many bars as needed, now machine your part to whatever Geometry is needed and Cut Off your part, it is already knurled (( IF FEASIBLE<---- KEY WORD!! ))

SteelCutter

Ok... knurl up a 6 in or whatever pc of whatever and then bore it out till all you have left is the knurl and not much more. Then cut it off and you got a belt... cut in proper lengths and SUPER GLUE it to the hex.

how about putting the shank of custom knurling tool into a tube with spring inside of it ...and a limiter to stop it coming out to far ....

think you would have one over the top vertical with one wheel and one horizontal with the other wheel...
or both horizontal on opposite sides.

it will either work or not work ....dont know what it will do at the apexes.

All the best...mark

i must admit, i would love to see a hexagon with a half tidy knurl on, have a look at the books by holzapfel [ spelt somthing like it], i'm sure there was reference to it in the ornamental turning bit, there were some priiity wierd set ups in that book for engine turning and stuff, thinking outside the hex, new one
regards
mark

I just found this post 5 min after reading this one. J C HANNUM took a 32 pitch tap ground off all but one flute and milled a cut across a flat then turned part 90 degrees and cut again making a neat looking knurl. Slick idea. Reminds me of how they cut the back of jaws on CNC chucks soft jaws so they can be moved one notch at a time.

go to http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net
see post called [looking for old post]
jims

Steel Cutter,
Was suggesting leaving the .200" knurled area round.
Then using a shaper or mill to do the hex flats....while leaving the the knurled area alone.

Tom

Here is a setup for cutting a knurl on a shaper.
This is the first cut.

Kap365.jpg

The tool is ground to a 120 degree point and fed over the job .05" per pass.

The vise is rotated for the second cut.

I have used this method making diamond plate for model work, roughing up clutch/brake plates, and making a hex shaped part for a box machine company.

Yes the hex was cut on two sides.

P1010022.jpg

Here is a diamond plate on a model.

Kap

Hi everyone, heres a simple idea a friend of mine used to knurl the thumb latches on revolvers , he simply scrounged an old hand thread chaser with a pitch similar to the knurl he wanted to cut and then mounted this in his small shaper, cut to depth, and then moved the table across the correct ammount so the next series of cuts would mesh with the first.
it worked quite well and had the advantage of cutting several grooves at once ( also cost next to nothing to est up )

Back