What's new
What's new

Need to source type of steel bolt for welding a finger lever onto

What's bugging me is the look of it all- the 1/2" tube is too big. I need the 5/16 thread for clamping power but if I get partially threaded bolts and turn the shaft to 1/4 I can braze to 3/8 tube which should look more proportional. I found some ok end caps but if I brazed in a ball bearing at each end might be pretty slick. I'm thinking about "automating" the brazing in some kind of kiln so I could load 50 pieces at once. Gott go google DIY kilns!Screen Shot 2023-12-03 at 1.29.54 PM.png

To Helmbelly and anyone interested in making a quality kiln. I know of an excellent resource to gain guidance for making a professional quality kiln. I recently attempted to post information about that resource and made reference to another forum whose title resembles a forum that can't be mentioned. Evidently the moderator took exception and deleted the 200 word post. If the moderator knows a better/more professional resource, I hope they will chime in and advise us. Or if a there is any subforum on this forum that deals with kiln construction I hope they will point it out. PM me if you have questions.

Denis

Last edited:
To those that PM'd me: I am sorry that it was necessary to contact me offline to get the directions to the most expert group of folks who do exactly what you want to do---make a professional quality custom kiln that will stand up to "industrial" use. (I guess I thought that conforms an important guideline for PM) There is practically no other forum that deals directly with the intricacies of shop-made or refurbished kilns. I am more than happy to help anyone interested in the subject to get the information they need. But their are far better resources than me.

Denis

Thanks again Denis, Just a word on the nameless site, it gives me a google safety alert saying "unsafe to proceed" The site's DNS info expired 2000 odd days ago. I went to the site under cover and it looks awesome and just what I need - just looks to be something wrong with the routing or admin of the site according to my results.

Thanks again Denis, Just a word on the nameless site, it gives me a google safety alert saying "unsafe to proceed" The site's DNS info expired 2000 odd days ago. I went to the site under cover and it looks awesome and just what I need - just looks to be something wrong with the routing or admin of the site according to my results.
The admin is very aware of the warning. But, it has been that way for a couple years and the admins feel it is not worth the trouble to fix what really is not broken. My understanding, from some of the very tech savvy folks on that site, is that warning is sort of one of those warnings about a technical issue, but in reality, there is no real concern. I’ve been on that forum for 6 or 7 years without an issue. I hope you get good help there.
I‘ll be watching for you to show up.

Denis

Well thanks Larry. I've been curious about welding so innocently thought welding would be the way. I'll look into silver brazing online. I should also look at hardening low carbon steel maybe I used "quench" incorrectly - I meant to heat it up blue and douse in water or oil. Thanks for your reply.
There be no affect on quenching low carbon steel. Plain carbon steel (carbon and Iron) will harden when the amount of carbon in steel is between 40 hundreds percent and 1 percent carbon. With the bolt your going to use there is only 10 to 15 hundreds percent carbon. No benefit to quench.
Roger

Last edited:

Back