What's new
What's new

Lifespan of China made motors in the shop

Bill D

Diamond
My Google fu is bad. All I find is how short a life china made cars have before they are worn out.
I assume China made motors do not last long if used hard and long, hot. Maybe I am wrong and new improved insulation and epoxy coil dips mean they are better then old school USA made motors. what brands and countries make good quality general purpose motors up to say 5 hp these days. I know some production has gone to Mexico and Brazil.
BilLD

Last edited:
Worst motor Ive had recently was Italian made 1p pool pump motor .......unbelievably noisy .............I assumed the bearings were corroded ,but no ,well greased and unmarked ..........so I left them in place,fitted a new capacitor ,and reassembled the pump.

I see that Tractor supply no longer carries China made motors only Marathon brand now. Even Horrible Fright gave up on selling China made motors. They no longer sell any motors.
Probably too many returns for smoked motors.
BilL D

I had a Brazilian-made WEG motor on a Puma compressor. It lasted about 2 years. The US-made Baldor that replaced it has been going at least 6 years so far.

I do not lose motors very often unless overloaded and overheated for a long time.
Yes I have some from WWII . They still run but the wire insulation is sort of brittle if you reconnect.
I have had made in USA motors eat bearings in a few years.
So, China electric motors. Obviously not this time running. No real motor failures yet.

I have all the reasons in the world to hate made in China.
The loss of Buick City and AC spark plug meant a 80% loss of work here. These are not coming back.
Still I can not do China bashing. They make low cost not so good stuff and they make world class products.
In years passed I have seen the same from "Made in the USA".

We all have motors that fail made in whatever.

I have all the reasons in the world to hate made in China.
The loss of Buick City and AC spark plug meant a 80% loss of work here.
Bob, Bob, Bob .... if it weren't for China there wouldn't be a Buick. Or a Cadillac, either. What would that leave ? Chevrolet and ... umm ... Oldsmobile ? nooo ... umm, Pontiac ? noooo .... well, there'd always be chebby. Maybe :)

Back there ta detroit y'all oughta be happy as hell there is a China, where people actually buy your cars.

Emgo motors are 1920's tech. I would have no problem buying a good China made motor but there are no brands here. They have name stickers that come and go. So I have no idea who makes a good motor. I assume in China there are actual brands that have a history and they stand behind their products. Folks building factories there must know which brands to buy and which to run away from.
BilL D

The biggest problem is that we here don't see any of the good Chinese made stuff. Whether it's motors or hand tools. All we get here are the shit-level, cheap items that resellers can import in bulk. Even if the better stuff did show up here, most wouldn't take the risk on it if it was priced like the names we're familiar with, or even close to them, until it slowly trickled out that it was of good quality, which can take a decade or more. That's how it always is with goods from countries that are newer to making and/or exporting them.

Last year I was watching some videos on motor bearing replacement and saw repeated mentions from techs that new Baldor motors in recent years are coming with bearings that don't last long at all. The replacements last many years longer. These were large industrial roof top motors.

There is also a huge problem with counterfeit bearings. It can be extremely difficult to identify authentic/fake. Even down to perfect hologram markings on boxes, etc.

The biggest problem is that we here don't see any of the good Chinese made stuff. Whether it's motors or hand tools. All we get here are the shit-level, cheap items that resellers can import in bulk. Even if the better stuff did show up here, most wouldn't take the risk on it if it was priced like the names we're familiar with, or even close to them, until it slowly trickled out that it was of good quality, which can take a decade or more. That's how it always is with goods from countries that are newer to making and/or exporting them.
We wanted low price.. so they stepped up and we got it.
Now we complain that the low cost stuff not so good. Weird.
I can not blame China for shipping what we asked for.

Lump yourself in the "we" category if that is accurate, but not me. The sheep morons did this to the rest of us that never wanted to be in that category. But the awful majority is who the importers serve, in the name of profit. I did not blame China, so not sure why you're bringing that up. It's the knuckleheaded common sheep and the importers who are to blame.

Trouble is, they claim materials and specs equal to or exceeding the 'good stuff'. Whether that is instigated by the mfgr or by the importer I do not know. If everybody was up-front about real/accurate specifications it wouldn't bother me.

Typical china propaganda. Your words are directly from their ministry, Americans want cheap, nothing more? Who asked for cheap, not caring if it works or not. No one.

There are motors, then there are motors - regardless of where they're made.

In general, any Chinese made motor will be inferior compared to a non-Chinese motor within a given price and design class. That's because Chinese products tend to suffer from quality control issues, materials issues, etc. These are all tendencies, not absolute rules. But you can specify China use the finest alloys and fasteners if you wish...they'll provide whatever does or doesn't suit them at the time. No one bends or ignores rules like the Chinese. If you insist on material certs and show them what the cert needs to look like, they'll print them up and send those to you, no problem.

A WEG motor made in Brazil will be of the highest quality you can buy anywhere - if you're buying their highest quality product. For example, an IEEE 841-spec low voltage motor. If you buy a washing machine grade motor, don't expect as much even though you can buy 10 of them for the price of one IEEE 841 motor.

Baldor has one foot in the grave...not because of poor quality but because of their ownership.

China is a bit different than most other countries. Why? While it's true people drive the market by insisting on 'cheap', China is the repository for cheap manufacturing. It goes hand in hand. No one says, "Let's build a factory in China to produce our best products". They say, "Let's build our best products here and let China handle all the cheap stuff".

I've been in the motor industry 35+ years and I don't know any motor maker who builds their best product in China. Not a single one. Pick any maker who has factories in multiple countries and the Chinese plant will be the lowest grade by default. It's a given. There is only one reason to manufacture in China...it's not leadtime, quality, or capability. It's cost.

People bitch about electric motors all the time....they are and have been the least troublesome and most efficient method of driving a load for decades. Nothing comes close.

I had a Brazilian-made WEG motor on a Puma compressor. It lasted about 2 years. The US-made Baldor that replaced it has been going at least 6 years so far.
Are you sure it wasn't a Mexican made motor? Sounds like it was a while ago. WEG has been steadily improving over the years and today are definitely better than Baldor, especially in industrial motors like an IEEE841. Can't speak about cheap rolled steel motors, but even with that Brazilian WEG would be my first choice. I know WEG and Baldor very well - been to WEG Brazil probably 30 times. Going again in June. Plan to meet with their new president when I am down there.

Was in China about 15 years ago looking at motors. One vendor said bearings need to be changed every year, 2 years at most. When SKF told them bearings should go 10 years, they said not possible.

Are you sure it wasn't a Mexican made motor? . . .
Can't be sure, but I think the motor itself said 'made in Brazil'. Mine is not a completely fair comparison with the Baldor because the Baldor unit is nearly twice the HP and weight of the WEG it replaced. And, the Baldor is a slower-turning 4-pole motor (pump speed maintained with pully swap).

I replaced a motor on my 4 x 6 cutoff saw last year with a Leeson motor. Motor is made in China but was amazed how much bigger it was over the original one provided with the saw. Seems to be a well made motor for something from Asia IMO. I've picked up several surplus American made motors a couple of years ago for almost nothing, all of them are new, never been used. They range from 1 to 10 HP. Have them in storage, never know when you will need one.

For some reason most 3-5 hp used motors being sold today are low speed. I, of course, need high speed 3,600 RPM not low speed. New motors low speed cost more because they have more coils.
BilL D.

Back