What's new
What's new

Low cost HSK tool holders, worth the price?

I buy Tegara(Taiwan) and TechniksUSA(SYIC,Taiwan) they work fine, actually I prefer the SYIC collets over the ones Marittol sells.
Everytime I order a set from Maritool there is always one or two that are not within tolerance.
ie not the actual numerical tolerance, you have to expand them a lot to get the marked size to fit, wrong.

I had another one where it was marked 1/4" collet, I put in a 1/4" end mill but the threads almost bottomed out before the collet tightened, I wondered if it was the next size collet ie ER16 not ER20.

And their nuts on the ER holders used to fit extremely tight on the collets, hard to get them out, and the collets had sharp corners(bad) which was why, the SYIC collets were better.

Then Maritool must have changed something in their specs, or a run was off, cause I ordered a bunch of new holders and the collets fall out if I turn them over to install, now I have to hold the tool upside down to get it started.
No collet retention.

The last 2 batches of pull studs I ordered were rusted, they thought they may just have that brown shit on them,
but after cleaning them really good you could see it was rust, I returned them, happened twice.
I only buy JM Performance now anyway regardless.

So I buy Maritool, they are great, but its not as great as people make it out to be. The price sure is though.

Last edited:
What about them makes them less in those 10% of situations?

Interesting enough when I looked up SYIC, their contact email for USA, it is Techniks directly. So is Techniks repping them while simultaneously selling their own line or rebranding SYIC holdrs? If the later then I don't see how they can claim USA made holders then...
A few situations, for certain operations hydraulic holders offer audible dampening characteristics in cut. Also pretty nice for quickly setting up a reamer with low run out. We stick with schunk or BIG for that, as local brands had premature seal failures and pull out issues.

Annway’s main HSK line shrink fit holder is a low interference slim type. These tend to resonate and amplify chatter especially for diameter 6mm and under. Unless I need the clearance for my smaller tools I won’t go with those. They also don’t make diameter 14mm shrink fit holders.

Additionally for our 5 axis we mainly use EURO shrink holders as they have the same DIN spec, meaning I don’t need to setup and pick as many holders for simulation. After some discussion from Annway they will launch another line in HSK with the DIN standards this year.

Certain extra long holders that need some form of vibration dampening are also all imports.

Also be mindful of the coolant tube, Japanese, Taiwanese, Chinese brands often have solid one piece coolant tubes. These have caused us many problems in the past. You need the 1 degree radial freedom coolant tubes.

What about them makes them less in those 10% of situations?

Interesting enough when I looked up SYIC, their contact email for USA, it is Techniks directly. So is Techniks repping them while simultaneously selling their own line or rebranding SYIC holdrs? If the later then I don't see how they can claim USA made holders then...
Any holder with SYIC on it is OEM’d in Taiwan. Techniks owner has a great relationship with owner of SYIC. This was evident at an open house of the Matsuura agent I went to last year in Taiwan. I showed up and they had sat the techinks owner next to me. Before I had the chance to ask who he was, the owner of SYIC excitedly asked him to stand up and introduced him to the whole room. The whole experience was quite funny, and was obvious someone was trying to flex.

Back