What's new
What's new

Miller 161 STL Remote Extension

rimcanyon

Diamond
I find the 12.5' cables on my 161 STL too short, especially when working on a car, so I ordered new 25' work cable and torch (and upgraded to a flex torch). I also need to extend the hand held remote cable, but Miller does not make a 6-pin remote extension. Miller said, just buy a 25' remote. They also don't sell the male and female cable ends for the 6 pin cables, and were unwilling to tell me the mfr. or part number. So, turning to you all. Hopefully one of you knows a source for the cable ends, so I can make my own extension cable, OR you know a company that could make me one.

Last edited:
I did what you are trying to do but with the 14 pin ends. I ordered the ends from newark, you might find the same 6 pin ends there. Male end, female end, and 2 strain reliefs IIRC. I had pins already.

A little googleFU digging said the maxstar 150's use a switchcraft EN3C6M male EN3C6F female

Male Miller P/N 217796 if you want to pay 3x and get a fancy blue bag.

Thanks Gtermini - your Google skills are clearly better than mine. I ordered EN3C6M and EN3C6F connectors from Newark. Should the 6-connector cable be shielded or is shielding not needed?

RobF, you mention that you had pins already. That got me a bit worried since I did not order pins; I expected them to be included.

Thanks Gtermini - your Google skills are clearly better than mine. I ordered EN3C6M and EN3C6F connectors from Newark. Should the 6-connector cable be shielded or is shielding not needed?

RobF, you mention that you had pins already. That got me a bit worried since I did not order pins; I expected them to be included.
I think there are different types of pins that will fit in the sockets. So you probably need to get them per your needs. The ends I got from Newark were just the ends. I needed male and female sockets and the same strain relief worked for both so twice as many of those. And male & female pins.
I do not think the 14 pin cables are shielded so 6 is probably not either.

Back