What's new
What's new

Milltronics vm17 software estop

Tgran

Plastic
Hello
I have a vm17 with centurion 6 controls. The problem I’m having is the machine is stuck in software estop mode. The readout shows that the z axis is minus when the z axis is all the way up. It should read plus when the axis is up. Also the big vfd says external fault. I thought the encoder was bad so I replaced the z axis motor and encoder with new but still says minus when it’s up. I raised the the z axis all the way up and now all I get is the software estop and the machine won’t let me lower the z axis all or any axis actually. I tried holding the reset button while trying to lower the z axis but nothing works. The machine did crash while drilling a hole. Not a horrible crash but hard enough to break the drill bit. Could that have caused mt problem in the first place? I’m far from an expert on this so any help someone could give me would be greatly appreciated. Is there a way to reset the software? I think I’m against the limit switches since I raised the z axis up but now can’t get it to move down off the switch. Is there a way to change the z axis from minus to plus since it’s stuck all the way up now? Thanks in advance for any help you could give meView attachment 431850View attachment 431851

been a minute since I ran one, but try to shut the machine down and kill the power(breaker) to the machine see if the drive still faults.
on the home screen you can hit 'home here'
holding the reset down while jogging also.
when this type of thing happens, and holding reset while jogging doesnt work, we have hand spun the XY screw to get it off the switch.
Z has a break so you cant hand spin it off.
sorry I couldn't be more help, its been 6 years since running Milltronics. :cheers:

Also for tech level params and controls.
From the Main Menu press F7-Parms, F1-Setup, F1-Level
When it asks for Validation Code type PROTO3 enter
then hit 3

Last edited:
been a minute since I ran one, but try to shut the machine down and kill the power(breaker) to the machine see if the drive still faults.
when this type of thing happens, and holding reset while jogging doesnt work, we have hand spun the XY screw to get it off the switch.
sorry I couldn't be more help, its been 6 years since running Milltronics. :cheers:

Thank you for the reply! I do understand it’s an older machine which is the only reason I have it lol. I will try holding the reset while jogging. Don’t think I tried that? I am just a weekend warrior at best and have taught myself what little i know so far but this is way over my head so I really appreciate you trying to help me. I would just try putting a jack or something under the z axis and take the motor off but in all my wisdom I raised it up so now the motor is right in the way of me getting to the pinch bolts that hold it to the shaft lol. I will keep trying though.

Here is the Home Here if you need it, remember that you MUST home the machine again after wards or you will crash the machine later.

To enable a home here complete the following:
1) Power on the machine and take it out of emergency stop
2) Press the F7 (PARMS) button
3) Press the F1 (SETUP) and then the F1 (LEVEL) buttons
4) The control prompts you for a validation code, type PROTO3 and then press enter.
5) It then prompts for an access code which is 3.
6) Escape to the main menu of the control and press F1 (HOME)
7) The F10 button should now show (HERE), press it to highlight it
8) Press CYCLE START.
This will home the machine in its current axis locations. Move the axis to your desired position and then home normally.

Okay so tried that but still nothing. I did notice that the dc power supply said low power or something like that. I will send a picture of it. Could this have something to do with it? Thanks for the info on homing though. That’s good information to know IMG_2655.jpeg

Back