What's new
What's new

Need a fast, portable way to destroy socket head cap screws.

What I used to use for breaking stuck socket head machine screws loose was a hex bit in a hammer-driven manual impact wrench. The combination of downward impulse plus the synchronized twist usually did the trick. If the socket is already mangled, a one size larger hex bit, ground into a slight taper, may work.

I originally used this for taking SS Philips screws out of aluminum generator housings in a friend's motorcycle. The big downward impulse broke the screw loose from the aluminum. It bade a very distinct crack sound when the screw broke loose.

The damaged-fastener removal bits from post #5 could also be used with the hammer driven impact wrench.

Last edited:
brand new allen socket
3/8 butterfly air driver
I find both battery drills and impact drivers have toomuch initial torque and strip before turning
I do the opposite for overtorqued phillips head which appreciate the fast thwack of the battery impact

Hello,
I have a number of industrial machines that are destined for scrap. Ive been working on removing the electronic controls, drives, etc but it's taking a very long time mainly due to fiddling with hundreds of stainless socket head cap screws that are holding everything together.

I don't need to keep the screws and I don't need to reuse the threads/holes. I am trying to find a way to efficiently remove the screw heads by grinding, leverage, cutting, heating or any other means.

Some of the screws will be countersunk but most are exposed however usually not with great access.

I do not want to damage the sensitive components that might be a few inches away from the screw.

So far I've tried removing them with Allen wrenches, Allen sockets on an impact driver. Drilling them out with a hand drill work hardened the screws to the point where nothing could cut it. They are very prone to stripping and it's taking way too long.

They range in size from M4 to M8 for the most part.

I'm not coming up with any ideas. Does anyone else have any?

Thanks,
Ian
I removed SHCS with a left hand drill. The screws were stripped and some were coated with Loctite.
The socket head makes a good place to start the drill. Screws came out easily.

Most of the screws came loose with a couple of revolutions of hand drill, run in reverse of course.

Back