What's new
What's new

Need advice on where to buy US made good quality SHCScrews, dowel pins, etc in 500-2000 pc quantities

DavidScott

Diamond
I will be needing alloy socket head cap screws, dowel pins, and spring plungers in larger quantities than I want to buy from McMaster but have no idea where to go. I have done the internet searches and have a few selected but figured it was worth asking here who you all like to purchase from. I am looking for good quality US made stuff at a good price. This is for a line of products I hope to start offering so will hopefully be buying enough to shop around. I am in Washington so probably want it stocked towards the west coast.

Dowel pins needed now are 3/16"-5/16" diameter x 3/8"-1" long and screws are 8-32 to 3/8-16 in commonly available lengths.

Last edited:
You might consider purchasing a box of each fastener from McMaster. Generally the box will have the manufacturers label including contact information

You can then contact the manufacturer and ask for pricing on whatever quantity you need. Over the year’s I’ve used this method to get better prices on large quantities of several different style fasteners.

I will be needing alloy socket head cap screws, dowel pins, and spring plungers in larger quantities than I want to buy from McMaster but have no idea where to go. I have done the internet searches and have a few selected but figured it was worth asking here who you all like to purchase from. I am looking for good quality US made stuff at a good price. This is for a line of products I hope to start offering so will hopefully be buying enough to shop around. I am in Washington so probably want it stocked towards the west coast.
Not sure what type of dowel pins you're looking for, but we manufacture and stock standard and metric Pull Dowels, made to DIN7979 / ISO 8734 Type B. They're 100% American Made, from materials melted and manufactured in Wisconsin, machined and heat treated outside of Detroit. Feel free to reach out if we can help. Company name is MAPCO Manufacturing, out of Canton Michigan.

-George
www.mapcomfg.com

I have a local distributor for fasteners and they give me wholesale pricing that I cannot get from anyone online. If you want me to see about some pricing, I will. It will be China stuff, but it will be cheap.

Not sure what type of dowel pins you're looking for, but we manufacture and stock standard and metric Pull Dowels, made to DIN7979 / ISO 8734 Type B. They're 100% American Made, from materials melted and manufactured in Wisconsin, machined and heat treated outside of Detroit. Feel free to reach out if we can help. Company name is MAPCO Manufacturing, out of Canton Michigan.

-George
www.mapcomfg.com
Just curious who is melting the material in Wisconsin?

I buy a few sizes of small metric screws (M3,M4 mostly) in 1000+ pc quantity from mcmaster. I can’t remember the brand but they’re nice and made in the US. They come in boxes of 100. I called the mfr to see about buying larger quantities. I think I’d have to buy 250k screws or something like that to get quantity pricing.

I buy most of my fasteners (typically 500- 1000 pcs quantities) from Metric Threaded Products in California. Prices are good, they know their shit, they stock everything, they ship cheap and same day and they don't bullshit you. I do order some inch stuff from them, but 95% is metric.

I would atleast call, let them explain your options and have them quote it out.

We've used Packer Fastener when we need high volume. From what I've found their prices are usually the lowest at least in my area.

Thank you to those who replied with the sources they like to purchase from. I appreciate starting with a list of known good sources that meet my criteria vs just guessing.

Pete, do you get better prices with those quantities? If so how much do they discount?

IME, Mcmaster price is 5-10X wholesale for common fasteners and 2-3X the price of specialty fasteners. I buy mostly flange head 10.9/12.9 JIS bolts and stainless. Mcmasters is 2-3 times the price of MTP.

We've used Packer Fastener when we need high volume. From what I've found their prices are usually the lowest at least in my area.
I personally have not tried Packer Fastener. A friend of mine uses them almost exclusively in his job shop. According to him The price, quality,and availability are better than Fastensll

As for the fasteners made in Iowa I’m out of town but when I return I’ll check to see if I saved any of the original boxes. I’ll report back with the results

USA made socket head cap screws that I've recently bought from McMaster-Carr are marked on the box:
Decorah LLC
GEC North America
1304 Kerr Dr
Decorah IA

Decorah is north east of Des Moines, kinda in the north east corner of Iowa near the Minnesota and Wisconsin borders.

If you click on "product details" for a given fastener, McMaster-Carr shows the country of origin. Some socket head products I've gotten from them are from Taiwan, branded Brighten Best. I think these have tended to be less commonly used sizes. For example 2-56 x 1/4 inch flat head socket head screws are USA made, 2-56 x 5/16 inch are Taiwan made.

Of course we all know country of origin can be subject to change...

David

Back