What's new
What's new

Need help sourcing information for a German lathe

bellhammer

Plastic
Our company has recently acquired a lathe made in Germany during what I believe is the late 1960's when that nation was divided between Communist and Western Democracies. We're going to use it for expanding our capabilities toward servicing marine shafting.

From what I've gathered so far, the lathe was made in East Germany. The Company's name is Veb Stahl-und Walzwerk Groditz Ser.# 6776. However, from there the hunt for additional information up to and including an Operators and Service Manual died on the vine. I've even uncovered a CIA Information Report on this company that led nowhere as far as acquiring the needed information toward servicing and maintaining this lathe.

If any members on this forum can point me in the right direction toward discovering the data I need to get this lathe and it's accessories up and running ASAP I'd be very grateful and appreciative of any crumb trails being pointed my way.

20240415_092126.jpg

We are also looking for an identical or similar non-operable donor lathe to cannibalize for parts and for extending the 32' bed a further 25 ft. of which I haven't had any luck locating so far.

I have read that "VEB" simply means "State owned company" and therefore applied to thousands of companies in the East.

One reference to VEB Stahl-und Walzwerk Groditz explains who owned it from 2004 but it is a bit vague about post-2015. It sounds like a steel producer, not machine tool builder.

It was once owned by Herr Flick, one of those nice guys who killed thousands of slave workers through starvation and over-work during WW2. Like Alfried Krupp, he was jailed but later welcomed back into industry.

bellhammer,

It might help to post photos of any name plates on the machine. Names on machine tools can be misleading, they are not always the maker.

Last edited:
I have read that "VEB" simply means "State owned company" and therefore applied to thousands of companies in the East.

One reference to VEB Stahl-und Walzwerk Groditz explains who owned it from 2004 but it is a bit vague about post-2015. It sounds like a steel producer, not machine tool builder.

It was once owned by Herr Flick, one of those nice guys who killed thousands of slave workers through starvation and over-work during WW2. Like Alfried Krupp, he was jailed but later welcomed back into industry.

bellhammer,

It might help to post photos of any name plates on the machine. Names on machine tools can be misleading, they are not always the maker.

Thanks much for that very informative response Peter. I'll post up pics of anything I can find on that lathe that might be of use toward acquiring as much useful information as possible on that lathe. And I must apologize for my lack of knowledge toward dogging down what seems to me to be an archeological dig looking for ancient artifacts.

Also, it seems I'm not able to post up pictures correctly seeing as if how large they are in the post. I'll do a search to correct that problem.

Yes, "Steel and Rolling Works, Groditz". The 6776 and 6774 tags are probably asset tags from the owner, not badges from the maker.

Thanks for the reply sfriedberg. Much appreciated. The plot thickens. For the last couple of days I've been conducting what seems to be a lesson in managing frustration instead of picking low hanging fruit. Perseverance seems to be the order of the day. The search goes on. Peter and sfriedberg thanks again for the help.

It says right there on the laser calibration tag "Niles Engine Lathe". Not sure what model but I imagine they are all at least similar.

My bad, and thanks for pointing it out. I was working on the assumption that it was either a Groditz or ED branded lathe and the calibration tag was referring to the company that did the calibrating. Sounds silly for me to think that now that you've pointed that out. Live and learn, onward we go. Niles it is then and my search will be dedicated toward that direction. Thanks again bigjon61.

bellhammer,

You're getting there - keep looking for data plates.

The "ED" data plate is for the electric motor, so not the lathe maker.

As bigjon61 says, (if the hand written note is correct) you will be looking for a Niles name plate. You really need to find the model and serial number that goes with the Niles name.

One of your photos shows the corner of a plate with gear change info, take photos of these plates too, sometimes they include makers name.

Sometimes the makers name is cast into the bed or headstock. The serial number might be stamped onto a machine surface elsewhere....

Because it looks to be made in Germany, you might want to contact Niles in Germany. If you can't find the Niles data plate, photos of the headstock and also the carriage, taken "square on" might help them identify the model. We wouldn't mind seeing them too :). Photos are always good.

https://niles-simmons.de/en/spare-wear-parts/

Thanks much Peter S. I've been lurking around the used lathe market with the Niles moniker as the key source word and have been getting closer to what we're looking for. Not on target yet but getting there. Thanks again. Also, using your link I've queried Niles-Simmons about our particular lathe. Coincidentally, there was a related link in the initial search page that led right back to this forum regarding the East German involvement with this branding.

Our company has recently acquired a lathe made in Germany during what I believe is the late 1960's when that nation was divided between Communist and Western Democracies. We're going to use it for expanding our capabilities toward servicing marine shafting.

From what I've gathered so far, the lathe was made in East Germany. The Company's name is Veb Stahl-und Walzwerk Groditz Ser.# 6776. However, from there the hunt for additional information up to and including an Operators and Service Manual died on the vine. I've even uncovered a CIA Information Report on this company that led nowhere as far as acquiring the needed information toward servicing and maintaining this lathe.

If any members on this forum can point me in the right direction toward discovering the data I need to get this lathe and it's accessories up and running ASAP I'd be very grateful and appreciative of any crumb trails being pointed my way.

View attachment 436379
Hello bellhammer - I'm likely sitting not too far from the original drawings for that Niles Engine Lathe. Give NSH USA (formerly Simmons Machine Tool) a call at (518) 462-5431 and the Customer Service Center should be able to help.

Back