What's new
What's new

Need a source for Habegger lathe parts

Thom1960

Plastic
I have the opportunity to acquire a Habegger JH102 lathe but it's probably missing a key component or 2. Like the cross slide and possibly the draw bar. The owner says there are some collets and maybe some other things stashed in his shed. Hoping the drawbar may be there but you'd think the cross slide would be on the machine. Would this be a machine worth investing in? Are there any sources besides eBay for these parts or should i just pass on this machine? I can get it for free but if parts are unavailable it's just scrap and I don't want to mess with it.

Any help would be appreciated!

Attachments

• tempImageiEWsUP.png
    tempImageiEWsUP.png
    756.8 KB · Views: 33
It's essentially a Schaublin 102 made by another maker. Spindle nose is the same, bed profile (tailstocks interchange), cross slide and any other accessory all the same. Quality is the same too. One difference is these have a bronze bearing at the front of the spindle with balls at the rear, where similar backgeared Schaublin will be roller bearings front balls rear. The bronze bearing arrangement is very well designed and easily adjusted though.

They did export some to the U.S. with 5C spindles, so check that. It may be a good thing, but if you get into Swiss stuff in the end it's probably better if it has the W20 spindle (more rarely they might be W25).

If you have a use for a 8" plain turning lathe, this is a great one. I part off 2" 316 in my 102 with no problem, then turn tiny little things to 0.005mm tolerance easily. A cross slide might run from 500 bucks and up depending on condition, tool post wise an AXA is a bit big, so you are looking at non-standard stuff there. W20 collets are plentiful and cheap used. Chucks with the right thread for the spindle nose come up regularly, backplates are rare to find. Proper chucks/backplates have a collar at the back that can be tightened to keep the chuck from flying off if you slam it in reverse- and it really works.

Once it is restored, it will be an excellent little lathe. I have not used the "Habegger", but have plenty of time on the equivalent Schaublin lathes.

The Schaublins I have worked on had Tripan tool holders and tool posts. They are very good quality and even the new ones aren't as steep in price as I thought they would be. They are marketed towards Swiss watchmakers' lathes. Not sure what it would be like getting them shipped to the US: https://swisskh.com/17-tripan

You don't necessarily need a "Habegger" cross-slide, either. A lot of watchmakers' lathes have similar design for the cross-slide - one surface in contact with the top of the bed, one surface in contact with the machined surface on the side of the bed. A t-nut, threaded rod, and a nut with a large enough washer or spacer to snug up on the bottom of the bed. One that is from a machine of similar size would be ideal so you have tool center height in the range you need.

If you have access to other machine tools, you could always make a cross-slide. They are fairly simple in design. It is probably what I am going to do for the cross-slide for my Schaublin 70. It's not the ideal situation, but it beats not being able to use the machine at all. We are machinists, after all! :)

Actually that sounds like a reasonable idea. I do have a Bridgeport mill but only a 6x18 Atlas/Craftsman lathe (which the Habegger will replace). I guess I’d be a fool to let the lathe go to the scrap yard.

Look closely at the costs associated with a toolmaker's compound for this machine. Habbegger or Schaublin may be beyond your budget.

I part off 2" 316 in my 102 with no problem, then turn tiny little things to 0.005mm tolerance easily

sure would like to see a video of this happening
Bob

Don't have video but made a few 40mm 316 parts recently, also some watch barrel blanks. Center bore of barrel blanks checked with plug gages, easily within 0.005mm. Those were finished on a smaller lathe for 2nd op work before cutting the teeth. The 316 wasn't a full cutoff as they were opened up quite a lot in the center, but still parting from full diameter. Tripan HSS blade.

Attachments

• 361 bar.jpg
    361 bar.jpg
    225.5 KB · Views: 14
  • 316 rings.jpg
    316 rings.jpg
    452 KB · Views: 14
  • barrel blanks.jpg
    barrel blanks.jpg
    446.9 KB · Views: 14

Back