What's new
What's new

Need info on pipe threading, machine, head, etc.

I would be thinking 535 or even the 1224 Ridgid pipe theaders, both much beefier than the 300 series- and more expensive. But CNC would be a lot better, and why the thirty five dollar price range is appropriate. I always single point stainless on the lathe, and even then, 304 is not very easy to get good threads with.

I would be scared to do this, but I worked in a repair shop in the 90s and they threaded some 1" flush out pipes for a farm using this method.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230731-155711.png
    Screenshot_20230731-155711.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 26
That might work for him, it didn't for me :oops::oops:

Actually when used with normal (aka sensible) threading infeeds chasers work very well, and even better for tapered threads! (no need to pre m/c the taper.
I remember them running those in black pipe 1"???? It seems like they had a weird looking ground & relieved center they used with it.
I'm gonna say 2 or 3 passes.

Update:
I took them to the shop that used to do them for everyone.
Said he would do them and have them Monday.
He is going to charge me $20 an end.
His machine is a copy of a Ridgid type threader.
Real heavy duty.

Buy an old Landis rotary ,bigger the better ..........youll get it for scrap price ,and for sure the Landis HSS dies will thread 304.........if I could have got $20 an end ,Id be a millionaire ...........the boat guy next to me had a severe health problem when any kind of money was mentioned.

Back