What's new
What's new

NOTICE - Practical Machinist down Mon. May 16 for 24 hours for forum software upgrade

You can switch your theme under preferences to 'default style' which has bold for the new posts.

Hopefully we will get some more themes in the future.
Thank You!
Fixed both of those issues ( new posts visibility and quote appearance )
And, it gave back the page numbers on top and bottom.

You can switch your theme under preferences to 'default style' which has bold for the new posts.

Hopefully we will get some more themes in the future.
I had the same issue. Now, got resolved by your suggestion.
Please make "default style" the default.

You must be retired with nothing but time on your hands?

Its like a forced update on your CAM software with lots of changes and a new UI right after a hot job comes in.
I'm still pissed at McMastercarr.
Not retired yet and have no patience with much of anything, but this is just typical website software like I use every day with no issues. I did change the preference setting to 'default' and if I could give it another 'skin' I probably would, but it's OK as is. The 'sites' that really bug me are things like groups.io, with their absurd lists that take forever to go through.

Can this thread be stickied for suggestions? Or another sticky thread created?

There are at least a few "complaint" threads, along with similar titled threads to this one in other categories. Would be nice if there was a "post your suggestions and complaints here" so milacron and co know what to work on and what we dislike.

That's what we did when I was part of another unrelated community, and I was a forum moderator. We created a whole subcategory for site and forum suggestions on what features to add, what features to change, etc. We used simple machines forums (SMF) software for that site. There were lots of downloadable plugins/scripts server-side the admin could install, as well as custom things he could code in himself.

I'm very positive milacron knows this stuff needs to be fixed. He obviously did the (probably mildly difficult) task of transferring all our data over without losing anything, and this is a pretty big site. The stupid little features such as disabling or changing trophies, and tweaking in the UI style may have been better to nail down before actually changing the forum software, but I'm sure he's got people working on it.

At least this software seems easy to use, with file attachments and the like. The LOOKS might not be great yet but the default style sheet is fine.

Just a note that we will be making updates based on the community's feedback and other needs that might take the forum down in the next few days for short periods of time. (Posted Friday May 20)

If nobody mentioned, I liked that you could click right to the new post in the latest posts on the old version. Ah, it is there, just blind

Yeah, and a bolder font would probably be better

Gone for me too. Gotta say the old format was fine from my perspective. This change to xenforo may get better after these early problems get ironed out, but until then, it’s a PITA.

Everything about this new forum is very unprofessional looking compared to the old setup. Really disappointing. Practical machinist forum was my one happy place on the internet that the millennial's haven't yet messed up.

I had to change themes to see what posts are actually new, even that theme wasnt as good as old one. now that feature is gone too? This is probably going to be a big turning point for people to move away from practical machinist. So sad.

Some improvement Don, but just a note that we lost the "Watched" button that was a nice one-click to threads that we were "subscribed" to. Would appreciate that returning.

---------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

The look of this new software for PM is hideous...on a desktop computer at least.

It's just too spread out, WAY too much white on a page, difficult to distinct between bold versus not....

(And my avatar picture is blurry as heck!)

An improvement?

--------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Back