What's new
What's new

NSK 1-2 Micrometer Digimatic lense

animal12

Stainless
I hit up my fave pawn shop today & left with a very clean Starrett 835 inside mic kit for $32.00 & for another 10 I picked up a NSK 1-2 rolling digimatic mic . The ]lens over the #'s is kinda dull . Any of you folks know of a source for NSK parts ? SO far mr google has brought me to many dead ends .
thanks
animal

If it is just yellowed, scratched or dull, then plastic polish may be the best way to deal with it. Also, in the likely event the parts are no longer available, PCBWay now offers clear 3D printed resin parts.

Thanks . I was thinkin about plastic polish , years back I tried some & it made more of a mess then accomplishment . Any recommendations of what flavor ? A bud suggested tooth paste ?
thanks
animal

There are plastic polishing kits for auto headlamps in the parts store since they suffer the same problem. Better than toothpaste. That mic is never going to be mint again anyway so toothpaste won't fix that.

I use a number of things depending on the type of surface, but most are domestic Japanese products that will be hard to find over there. I have had good luck with a German clearcoat paint repair system from 'Quixx' which is on Amazon. It cleaned up a badly scratched Fluke 87v display cover and some dial indicator crystals quite well. The best results come from iterating through multiple abrasive sizes, so toothpaste seems suboptimal. A dremel with small buffing wheels will likely take some of the tedium out as well, you have to really work through the grits for the best results.

Thanks , I'll have to see what grits I have in inventory here . This will probably turn into one of those snowy day winter projects . Year before last we were snowed in for a week , I may need to stack up a few more projects .
animal

I’ve had good luck using Novus polish on plastics, including polycarbonate even though it says not to use it. For heavily oxidized parts a quick hit with 2k or 3k grit wet paper is helpful. Any of these will strip coatings, so care should be taken on headlights which have a much shorter second life once the UV resistant coating is gone. This matters less for metrology gear used indoors.

Back