What's new
What's new

O.T. New machines approved

rjwalker1973

Stainless
Looks like the big boss has decided not to go with Haas umc as I feared and decided to go with DN Solutions DVF5000. I got a call in with our local rep and hopefully the two machines he wants are still avaialble at the price we recently discussed. I'm stoked to get the 2 5 axis mills into the shop. This will be the first 2 cnc mills we have.

Wait,... decided NOT to go with the haas as you feared?!?!

I program, set-up and sometimes operate a UMC-500 daily. It's,..... fine. Annoying to deal with certain issues like Z floating around throughout the day and ESPECIALLY when you're flipping B and spinning C axis around. I've learned ways to kind of program around the machine's short comings. I keep the kinematics decently in check and I can hold usually .002-.003 on locations across multiple planes. .01 true positions on relatively small parts isn't really an issue and .005 true position can usually come in tolerance without fudging any locations. The machine will repeat decently, it's just not super accurate right out of the gate. With that being said I can't wait for my MAM72 to arrive in a month or two :cloud9:
Anyways there have been what seems like hundreds of pages of UMC shortcomings but I'll say this:
You should be grateful to get the DN!

Wait,... decided NOT to go with the haas as you feared?!?!

I program, set-up and sometimes operate a UMC-500 daily. It's,..... fine. Annoying to deal with certain issues like Z floating around throughout the day and ESPECIALLY when you're flipping B and spinning C axis around. I've learned ways to kind of program around the machine's short comings. I keep the kinematics decently in check and I can hold usually .002-.003 on locations across multiple planes. .01 true positions on relatively small parts isn't really an issue and .005 true position can usually come in tolerance without fudging any locations. The machine will repeat decently, it's just not super accurate right out of the gate. With that being said I can't wait for my MAM72 to arrive in a month or two :cloud9:
Anyways there have been what seems like hundreds of pages of UMC shortcomings but I'll say this:
You should be grateful to get the DN!
I worded that wrong I was worried he would choose the umc and not the Dn. I am very grateful. I could make the umc work , but I prefer to have the better built more accurate machine.

Looks like the big boss has decided not to go with Haas umc as I feared and decided to go with DN Solutions DVF5000. I got a call in with our local rep and hopefully the two machines he wants are still avaialble at the price we recently discussed. I'm stoked to get the 2 5 axis mills into the shop. This will be the first 2 cnc mills we have.
RJWalker, I work for DN Solutions. I handle milling and 5 axis in NJ. APT are a great bunch of guys, very knowledgeable. You should be good. In addition to that, you can always contact me here or at [email protected]. The DVF5000 is an awesome machine. So, if we can be of any help, feel free to contact me in addition to the great guys at APT.

I worded that wrong I was worried he would choose the umc and not the Dn. I am very grateful. I could make the umc work , but I prefer to have the better built more accurate machine.
Okay, that's great to hear. Congrats, I've never ran a DN but I've heard good things.

RJWalker, I work for DN Solutions. I handle milling and 5 axis in NJ. APT are a great bunch of guys, very knowledgeable. You should be good. In addition to that, you can always contact me here or at [email protected]. The DVF5000 is an awesome machine. So, if we can be of any help, feel free to contact me in addition to the great guys at APT.
Thanks I appreciate it. Now to impatiently wait for the boss to pull the trigger. Yes APT are awesome I would recommend anyone in Florida to Call Steve at APT he has been terrific. They also do the Zeis CMM's which will be one of our next purchases.

When you get your DVF5000s, there are a few things you should know. We have a triplet of DVF6500s connected to an LPS that had some, let's say growing pains.... We were initially disappointed with the accuracy of the machine. Out of the box, we did a 5 axis ballbar test. The result were initially disappointing. The best we could get it was, IIRC nearly .002". When our 10 year old Toyoda UX570s were doing .0003" to .0006".

I wrote up an entire procedure that we came up with for the Elison guys to calibrate the probe and machine to make it an aerospace appropriate machine. I do not have it in front of me, but can send you it. Ellison has been outstanding to deal with.

#1, There are some parameters set wrong from the factory for the RMP600 probe that makes it far less accurate than it should be.
#2 Do not run the kinematics in imperial units. There is a bug in the DN solution software that doesn't make it nearly as accurate as it can be.
#3 The Doosan modified Renishaw probing cycles -DO NOT WORK- when doing any full 5 axis, or 3+2 probing. You need to install Renishaw's inspection+ for that to work. And, then you have to calibrate your probe on the Doosan GUI side, and then on the Renishaw macro side as well.

I've got the full calibration down to about 30 minutes. We do this once a month. And do a renishaw ballbar test at least every 6 months. But it consists of this:
1.) Zero Return machine, Switch to metric mode.
2.) Calibrate probe stylus and height on the Doosan GUI side. (Do yourself a favor and get a calibrated ring gage, and the Renishaw ACS-1 to help with calibration.)
3.) Calibrate kinematics/center points.
4.) Zero return, switch to imperial units.
5.) Calibrate probe stylus using the Doosan GUI.
6.) Calibrate prove stylus radius using Renishaw Inspection+

We do a LOT of high tolerance aerospace and D.O.D. work. With the changes above, the accuracy of our DVF6500s were quite good, at less than .001" on all axis. That's approaching our Hermle accuracy. But disappointing that those bugs weren't caught from the factory, and it took us to figure out their mistakes.

HELL YES! good on your boss for being smart. looking forward to hearing how you like them!

Back