What's new
What's new

OKUMA Captain transformer hookup

zschary

Aluminum
I was looking everywhere for a pic of the "universal transformer" that Okuma has on its machines... The lathe showed up today and here are a couple pics of the wiring, for anyone needing it..
Looks to me like the machine is really set up for 220 volt (japan power) and the trans steps it down from 480 in this case, or whatever you have.. .. To state the obvious, Looks like i just relocate the the top three wires for the 480 position down to the 240 position.. and thats it? wow.. Was expecting it to be more confusing.. Using a 80 amp 3 phase breaker with number 4 wire.. the disconnect is higher on the machine, i just run the three hots and ground to that position? I have done many things like this, i just wanted to put it out there if a real electrician is looking and has any input.. its a 35 kw transformer
Zach

Attachments

• 121.jpg
    121.jpg
    421.4 KB · Views: 4
  • fddd.jpg
    fddd.jpg
    464.1 KB · Views: 4
Multitap transfomer instead of reconnecting coils. The only downside is it has to be larger because at 240 you aren’t using all the turns in the transformer. It is nice to work with and you could even use a 3pdt switch to change the voltage.

Multitap transfomer instead of reconnecting coils. The only downside is it has to be larger because at 240 you aren’t using all the turns in the transformer. It is nice to work with and you could even use a 3pdt switch to change the voltage.
thanks Gary.. when i bought this machine i was worried about the voltage and the machine was running 480.. Is it true the transformer had to bring that down to the 220v output anyway, so running with a 240 input will make the machine run with the same power regardless of input?

Back