What's new
What's new

What do these hookups mean on this old VF2? 4th or 5th axis?

LiveSuperMatt

Plastic
So we bought this 2000 Haas VF2 last year & I’ve been wondering if I can use just a 4th axis or will it run a 5th of some kind. When I look into the back there’s only one extra servo but the hookups look like it has 5th axis capabilities. Please see the pic & help if you can. I want to buy either an older 4th axis for it or a trunion if it will run it.

Attachments

• IMG_9595.jpeg
    IMG_9595.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 24
  • IMG_9603.jpeg
    IMG_9603.jpeg
    729.7 KB · Views: 13
It's impossible to tell you without looking inside to see what those are connected to. From your description of only one extra amp, it looks like they may have installed both the brush and brushless style wiring. They might even both be connected to the same amp, or one might be laying inside, disconnected. It could be that the shop it came from had multiple rotaries and they had wiring to accommodate each style.

It's impossible to tell you without looking inside to see what those are connected to. From your description of only one extra amp, it looks like they may have installed both the brush and brushless style wiring. They might even both be connected to the same amp, or one might be laying inside, disconnected. It could be that the shop it came from had multiple rotaries and they had wiring to accommodate each style.

Thank you for helping, now I included pictures of the inside. It looks like the double hookup is wired on the outside & the single hookup goes behind the plate but still plugs into the same axis that is labeled A axis. So I would think it’s only a 4th axis but why the double ways to plug in? You said brush & brushless so I’m assuming they’re two types of systems back then. Please elaborate…

There are no pictures with either of your recent posts. Haas has gone through a few iterations of rotary drive systems. I assume you're looking at stuff that's going to be at least ten years old so we won't get into the latest stuff. For what you're doing, there were brush and brushless style drive motors. The voltages and encoders were different. They also have different cabling.

The oldest stuff is brush. Most of them are painted red, though some were white. These use a single cable with a 17 pin, single cable. Inside your machine a Brush connection will go through an additional box or board with some internal transformers and other components before connecting to the drive amp.

The brush rotary uses two cables: one for power and the other for signals. These came out around 1997 and lasted through 2010-2012 I think. Almost all white ones will have two cables. These will go straight from the two cables on the side of the cabinet, to the drive amplifier.

Thanks for your help. On my end I see the two pictures that I’ve attached but either way you have answered my questions. Thank you again.

Back