What's new
What's new

Okuma, Nakamura-Tome, Tsugami?

cedjeff

Plastic
I'm looking to purchase a new CNC lathe. Double spindle, double turret, y-axis, all the bells and whistles. Does anyone have any preference?
We are machining a small part under Ø .750" made out of Inconel 718. Volume is about 10k parts a year for the next five to six years.

Boy, that's a lot of machine for 10K EAU...

I've never ran Inconel, but given what it is, I am wondering if maybe the Tsugami may be a bit light on the live tooling for the app?

I'm sure either of the others would be fine, just depends on whether you like Okuma or Fanuc controls really.

---------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

What does the part look like? A sketch with no critical dimensions shown would be very helpful. I see you’re in Westchester…Morris Midwest (Okuma and Tsugami distributor) is having their open house next week in Elgin or whatever. Check it out!

What do you estimate tool life will look like cutting Inconel?

Twin turret machines are $$$. If you're going to drop that kind of coin, I'd take it just a bit further and get a Mill-Turn. Cycle times might actually be a little slower, but you'll avoid a lot of wasted labor by being able to prepare tooling offline.

What do you estimate tool life will look like cutting Inconel?

Twin turret machines are $$$. If you're going to drop that kind of coin, I'd take it just a bit further and get a Mill-Turn. Cycle times might actually be a little slower, but you'll avoid a lot of wasted labor by being able to prepare tooling offline.

Well, that that could be what the Tsugami is.
I looked at one at The Tool Show a while back, and it had a whole tool hive like an HMC.
So, if THAT is what he's lookin' at, then it would have a powered spindle, unlike forty-leven live toolholders.
That may be better?

But I am sure that it isn't going to be ANY cheaper than that Okuma!

---------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Tsugami can be had with Caron engineering monitoring. Probably pI'dossible with the others. I'd think mighty hard about this upgrade for difficult materials.
Does the cycle time and quantity justify a purchase?

What does the rest of your turning work look like? Is it small enough for a swiss? Large enough to justify the Okuma purchase? Assuming that the 10,000 parts will only be in that machine for a couple months at a time or less then I would get the machine that best complements the rest of your turning work.

Tsugami can be had with Caron engineering monitoring. Probably pI'dossible with the others. I'd think mighty hard about this upgrade for difficult materials.
Does the cycle time and quantity justify a purchase?

+1 on TMAC. We currently have it in 2 of 12 Okuma's and have it on order for 2 more. Once we get it fully implemented in those we will order it for 2 more machines.

Reactions: mkd
I would also be looking at Miyano. The BNX51msy acts like a twin turret machine by using superimposition and an x2 on the sub spindle. But they also have twin turret, twin spindle machines.

Back